[OpenID board] February 26, 2014 OpenID Board Meeting Minutes

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 20 17:50:28 UTC 2014

February 26, 2014 OpenID Board Meeting Minutes

Present in Person:
Don Thibeau, Executive Director
Mike Jones
Tony Nadalin
George Fletcher
Scott Kern
Eric Sachs
Greg Keegstra
Nat Sakimura
Pamela Dingle
Paul Agbabian
Dylan Casey

Present on the Phone:
Henrik Biering
Torsten Lodderstedt
John Bradley

Absent:
Raj Mata

Visitors:
John Ehrig, Global Inventures
Caleb Baker, Microsoft
Adam Dawes, Jack Greenberg, Google

1.      Marketing Committee Report
Don is aggregating articles on the OpenID Connect launch.  Don sent a note to all OpenID Foundation members about the launch.

Additional Marketing Committee items were communicated via e-mail.

2.      Board Membership Changes
The board thanks Greg Keegstra, Henrik Biering, and Axel Nennker for their service to the board.  Their terms end with this meeting.  All plan to continue being active with the foundation.  The board welcomes Torsten Lodderstedt, who was elected to the corporate board seat.

3.      Executive Committee Election
The board unanimously re-elected the current executive committee:  Nat Sakimura as Chairman, Eric Sachs as Vice-Chairman, John Bradley as Treasurer, Mike Jones as Secretary, and George Fletcher as Community Liaison.

[ Dylan Casey joined the meeting at this point ]

4.      OpenID Connect Status Update
Vote:  75 members voted to approve the Final OpenID Connect specifications and Implementer's Drafts, 1 abstained, and none opposed.  With 284 current members, this meant that 27% of the members voted, which is well above the 20% quorum requirement, with 26% voting to approve.

Launch:  The launch is going well, generating significant amounts of positive traffic.  Don is working with Jeff Fishburn of OnPR a continuing series of follow-up articles.  Don is also collecting references to positive articles and will post an aggregation of them.

Adoption:  The foundation needs to do some work to enable the use of OpenID Connect at our web site.  We should compile a list of Open Source libraries and post the list so that developers to have a starting point

Remaining Spec Work:  The Session Management (logout) spec is still being refined.  A method for transitioning from OpenID 2.0 to OpenID Connect still needs to be developed.  One forcing function is that Google is planning to turn off its OpenID 2.0 support on April 20, 2015.  Tony suggested that strong authentication spec should also be produced, possibly in a new working group.

Profiles:  Profiles of OpenID Connect are being developed by the OIX/Kantara Federation Interoperability Group for higher LOA use cases and by members of the GSMA for the mobile industry.  Next week on March 5, there will be a meeting at the GSMA in London about how to define a mobile profile.

Certification:  It's time for OpenID Connect certification, with the goal being to increase the quality and interoperability of implementations.  People seem to believe that self-certification is the way to go.  Conformance profiles and test suites would need to be written.  John suggested that we may want to partner with those who produced the interoperability test tools funded by GÉANT.  Investigating that possibility seems like the next step.  We agreed that certification is not likely to result in a revenue stream.

5.      Account Chooser Status Update
The Account Chooser spec is now published in RFC format.  Eric sent a draft board motion on push updating on February 5, 2014.  The goal of the motion is to enable experimentation by member companies.  The motion was amended to "The board agrees that the Account Chooser working group can use the certification template for the purposes described."  Eric moved and Pam seconded.  The motion passed unanimously.

6.      Liaison Updates
Next week, WTO will consider classifying the OpenID Foundation as a recognized standards body.  This will enable governments to use OpenID specifications in procurements and deployments.

The ISO/IEC JTC1 SC27/WG5 liaison vote closes on March 7.  We are seeking Category C liaison status, which enables us to get their documents and comment on their work and may allow them to use our specs as well.

Nat visited the ITU-T secretariat in January.  We discussed A.5 and A.4 status.  Our A.5 status request to the entire ITU is under way.  This would enable to them to use our specifications.

Nat also discussed the X.atag attribute aggregation work.  The effort was cancelled because it was duplication of effort.

The Executive Committee is serving as the liaison committee to Kantara.  Tony moved and Nat seconded that Mike serve as the liaison representative to Kantara.

7.      Planned Events
The next OpenID Workshop will be at Yahoo! on May 5th.  There will be a workshop at EIC, which is May 13-16.  OIX and OpenID workshops are planned at the Cloud Identity Summit on Sunday, July 20th.  John believes that the workshop may actually be Saturday.  The board meeting is currently scheduled for that Sunday but should be moved earlier to avoid the conflict with the IETF.  Pam will try to get us a meeting room on Saturday.  We will consider having a workshop at the Mobile Asia Expo in Shanghai in June.

8.      Memberships
We currently have 7 sustaining members and 24 corporate members.  Several new corporate members have recently joined, including Cisco, Export-Import Bank of the United States, OneLogin, Ribose, and Ayoy.  Salesforce and VMWare have renewed.  Don is using the awareness created around OpenID Connect to recruit new members.

[ Paul Agbabian joined the meeting at this point ]

9.      Financial Status Update
Don sent a deck with an update on finances.  Don will do an update with annual figures and projected figures for coming years for the executive committee.

10.   Mobile World Congress Report
John reported from Barcelona that OpenID Connect is capturing OAuth momentum that was already present among the mobile carriers.  Torsten shared that many mobile carriers have yet to do identity management.