[OpenID board] Infrastructure update

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Tue Sep 4 00:25:35 UTC 2012

As for voting, unless the proposed alternative voting system enables proxy voting and voting using members registered OpenIDs, we can't use it without a change to the IPR process (which requires a vote of the membership to do).  Also, for reasons of supporting our own technologies, I believe that we want to continue having people vote with their registered OpenIDs.

Having been on the elections committee as long as we've had elections, my sense is that we've gotten the bugs out of the election system by now, and it meets our needs.  Besides, it's paid for.  Integrating a new voting system into our existing membership software (or creating new membership software) would both be costs we would have to understand before undertaking any changes in that regard.

My sense is that the remaining costs of using it have to do with us having Darren do things that we could do for ourselves.  (If there's any reason we can't do them ourselves, we should remedy that before or during this upcoming election.)

I *do* think we should monitor the costs of running the 2013 election with the current software so that we have data to base any decision to make a change (or not make a change) on.

				-- Mike