[OpenID board] October 4, 2012 OpenID Executive Committee Call Minutes

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Fri Oct 19 00:13:46 UTC 2012

October 4, 2012 OpenID Executive Committee Call Minutes

Present:
Don Thibeau, Executive Director
Mike Jones
Nat Sakimura
Kick Willemse
John Bradley
Eric Sachs

Visitors:
John Ehrig, Global Inventures

Absent:

1.            Unifying the Account Chooser, and openid.net, and Backplane Exchange web sites
Don will receive an updated proposal from Cloud 4 later this week.  We deferred further discussion of this topic until that has been reviewed.

2.            Expanded Mission
Don discussed potential changes to the bylaws and mission statement to be inclusive of open identity technologies.  Mike pointed out that any changes should still be clear that we are safeguarding OpenID technologies, and that we are safeguarding only open identity technologies developed within the framework of the OIDF processes - not all open identity technologies.  Nat echoed these thoughts as well, based upon discussions he'd had with members in Japan.  Don and John Ehrig agreed to revise the proposed changes accordingly.

3.            Membership Structure Revisions
John Ehrig presented a spreadsheet of potential revenue with the proposed updated fee structure.  The net gain would be from $429,000 to $463,000, assuming everyone renews.  Six companies with 100+ members would be paying $5000 more - $15,000 rather than $10,000.  Don will survey these six companies.  Kick sent a detailed proposal about the value propositions for membership.  He proposed that these concrete value propositions be identified alongside each of the membership tiers.  The proposed revisions will be on the agenda for the board meeting.  Kick pointed out that the marketing committee should be involved to make sure that we have a plan for marketing memberships and not just technologies.  Nat agreed that that marketing committee should come up with concrete value propositions in cooperation with Kick and Don.

4.            National Chapters Proposal
There's been no progress on this since the last EC call.  Nat will circulate a modified proposal via e-mail before the board meeting.  This will be on the agenda for the board meeting.

5.            Revising the Bylaws on Community Board Representatives
John Ehrig presented possible bylaw changes that would simplify the process to specify that one general election will be held per year.  These changes mostly remove, rather than add language.  They make no changes to the N+1 language.  These proposed changes will be sent to the public board list to review.

6.            Sustaining and Corporate Memberships Pipeline
Don presented a spreadsheet with estimated renewal levels and estimated probabilities.  Don will send the spreadsheet including an expected value of the pipeline over the next 12 months after making some updates suggested by Eric and adding in renewals.  Don believes that with the changes we're considering, we'll be trending towards more companies in the midrange, which should be a healthier mix.  As Account Chooser becomes more public, Don expects to be able to recruit more companies in the middle price range.

7.            Trademark Transfer Agreement
Snorri plans to send us a signed paper this week.  Nat will let Snorri know to send it to the Inventures office.

8.            Potentially sponsoring the development of a mobile application using OpenID Connect
John Bradley reported that Ping has an internal OAuth/OpenID Connect client.  John will look into repurposing that application for testing purposes.  If that can't happen, we should look into other ways to get this to happen, for testing purposes.

9.            Next Call
The next Executive Committee call will be in two weeks.