[OpenID board] OIDF Update: OpenID Connect: draft rollout plan

Don Thibeau don at oidf.org
Thu Jun 2 20:35:16 UTC 2011

This is an update to the OIDF planning for the testing and potential launch of OpenID Connect.
Thanks for the labor of the OpenID Connect Work Group and particularly the recent contributions from Salesforce.Com, Google and Facebook to help refine and edit the latest specifications.
Thanks to the JanRain team and Kick Willemse for drafting protocols, milestones, etc for a rigorous, international testing plan and high quality launch consistent with Board resolutions at IIW.
Thanks to Allen Tom for coming out of "retirement" to provide technical assistance and project leadership for planning the next steps for OpenID Connect.

Interested Board members are welcome to join Allen Tom and me at a meeting in person to detail his contribution and iterate on the latest draft of the OpenID Connect Launch Plan in Mountain View Meeting 11:00 am to 1:00pm PST June 16. Our objective is a 30/60/90 day plan to complement the WG efforts and scope potential directed funding options for testing and launch activities.
We will use Kick's meme below as a starting point.

> -          Recognize three phases of openidconnect rollout (Review, Create, Rely)
> -          Define success of review phase
> -          Included the tier organizations from the OIDF minutes
> -          Marketing milestones
> -          Estimated budget

Some related activities:
OpenID Connect Briefing: June 28 in Cambridge, MA at MIT (following the US NSTIC Privacy Workshop)
OIDF EC Meeting (telecom) June 15 3  to 4 pm PST
OpenID Connect Briefing July I9 in Keystone CO (Preceding the Ping Cloud Conference)
OIDF Board Meeting (telecom) July 25 EC  telecom
(Tentative) OpenID Summit in September 15 (tentative) in Mountain View, CA (following the US NSTIC Technology Workshop)

Thanks to Chris Messina for his work coordinating community outreach for the OpenID Connect effort and in the "Draft Allan Tom" campaign.
Again, much work remains to be done to meet the tiered priorities set out by the board and the spirit of "if we do this, lets do it right."
So now is a great time to contribute to the WG technical specs and planning for the testing and potential launch of OpenID Connect

Don Thibeau
Executive Director
The OpenID Foundation
openid.net