[OpenID board] Ongoing maintenance of the OpenID libraries

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 02:40:43 UTC 2011

It has come to my attention that the maintenance of the OpenID libraries has
fallen by the wayside in the past year. Since OpenID 2.0 is still the de
facto latest version, I believe it is up to the foundation to make sure that
we're keeping the existing libraries up to date.

Specifically, since our code is hosted on GitHub, there have been several
forks and subsequent pull requests posted to the PHP library:

https://github.com/openid/php-openid

<https://github.com/openid/php-openid>Will Norris is reviewing these changes
but I think this raises an important issue that we've neglected for some
time — making the developer experience of integrating OpenID (beyond using
an off-the-shelf solution like Janrain Engage) adequate. To that end, making
sure that the libraries are open for improvements, and that we respond to
pull requests in a timely fashion should be something that we prioritize in
2011.

If it's unclear who the current maintainers or owners are for the libraries,
that's something we should absolutely address.

Chris

--
Chris Messina
Open Web Advocate, Google

Website: http://chrismessina.me
Blog: http://chrismessina.me/b
Follow my updates: http://twitter.com/chrismessina

This email is:   [ ] shareable    [X] ask first   [ ] private