[OpenID board] [OIDFSC] Closing inactive OpenID working groups

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 00:25:48 UTC 2011

+1 to closing them.

The one concern I'd have (as usual) is with branding. If Connect is 'merging
into" A/B, I presume that there won't be a WG with "Connect" in the name
anymore. This may not be appear to be a big deal, but I do think that the
OpenID Connect brand could still have some mojo, especially in contrast to
Artifact Binding.

Is it possible for the A/B WG to reflect that it essentially represents the
continuation of the Connect WG in its name?

Chris

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 2:29 PM, John Bradley <ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com> wrote:

> +1 as long as we are clear Connect is just merging with AB, and the final
> name or version is TBA.
>
> John B.
>
> On 2011-02-21, at 6:57 PM, Breno de Medeiros wrote:
>
> + 1 for the closing of this groups
>
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 13:53, Mike Jones <Michael.Jones at microsoft.com>wrote:
>
>>  At the latest OpenID board meeting, I took the action item to have the
>> specifications close down inactive working groups.  This is to help
>> eliminate confusion among the members about where work is occurring and
>> focus people’s efforts on the active working groups.
>>

>> Per section 4.4 of the OpenID process document<http://openid.net/wordpress-content/uploads/2010/01/OpenID_Process_Document_December_2009_Final_Approved.pdf>,
>> “The Specifications Council may recommend closure of a WG at any time that
>> the WG has not had Minimum Membership for six consecutive months at the time
>> of closure, and such recommendation will promptly be submitted to a vote of
>> the OIDF membership, in accordance with the voting procedures in §3.”
>> “Minimum Membership” is defined in section 1.6 as “five contributors”.
>>

>> It’s clear that all of these working groups meet this criteria in terms of
>> lack of participation by 5 members within the last 6 months:
>>
>> ·         v.Next Core
>>
>> ·         v.Next Discovery
>>
>> ·         v.Next Attributes
>>
>> ·         v.Next Certification
>>
>> ·         v.Next User Experience
>>

>> Also, given the consensus to merge the Connect work into the Artifact
>> Binding work, I would argue that we should close the Connect working group
>> at the same time, so that it’s clear that people wanting to contribute to it
>> should join the Artifact Binding working group, where the work is actually
>> proceeding.  Formally, there have been 7 contributors on the Connect working
>> group list in the last 6 months:  Breno de Medeiros, Chris Messina, Chuck
>> Mortimore, David Recordon, John Bradley, Joseph Smarr, and Nat Sakimura.
>> The most recent contribution was 11/3/10.  So we could either wait a few
>> months to close it, or if three of the above contributors agree that it
>> should be closed, I believe we could proceed with the membership vote to
>> close the working group at the same time.  (I’d rather not have two
>> membership votes closing working groups.)
>>

>> So after a discussion period, unless people form consensus around a
>> different course of action, I’m going to propose a specs council vote that
>> we close all 6 of these working groups.
>>

>>                                                                 Thanks
>> all,
>>
>>                                                                 -- Mike
>>

>> P.S.  The present membership of the specifications council is:
>>
>> ·         Johnny Bufu
>>
>> ·         Breno de Medeiros
>>
>> ·         Dick Hardt
>>
>> ·         Mike Jones
>>
>> ·         David Recordon
>>
>> ·         Nat Sakimura
>>
>> ·         Allen Tom

> [...]

Chris Messina
Open Web Advocate, Google

Website: http://chrismessina.me
Blog: http://chrismessina.me/b
Follow my updates: http://twitter.com/chrismessina

This email is:   [ ] shareable    [X] ask first   [ ] private