[OpenID board] in-person chat about Connect and v.Next

Brian Kissel bkissel at janrain.com
Sun May 23 18:18:27 UTC 2010

+1, thanks Dick for driving this forward.

I'm sure that there are lots of things that need to be resolved, but here
are some that seem to be critical at this point, welcome input from others.

1.      Is it reasonable to try to integrate OpenID Connect charter into the
V.Next WG charter or do we need separate charters?

2.      Is it reasonable to not fork the technology and still achieve the
charters that David & Joseph are advocating relative the charter that Nat &
John Bradley are advocating?

3.      If the answer to #2 is no, should we be willing to have a
comprehensive OpenID V.Next charter that allows for forking the technology,
but manage it all within the OIDF?

4.      If we are willing to allow forking of the technology, how do we
minimize the adverse impact on RPs and end users who may start out with one
application or use case, but then want to expand into others without
breaking existing deployments?

Also, I know that we use the words "charter, requirements, specifications"
in foundation speak, but for clarity of understanding, I’d suggest we think
in terms of a “product” which is what the market wants from us.  In our
case, the product isn’t code per se, but standards and specifications that
deliver functionality and benefits to the RP and end user in a clear,
consistent, reliable, and interoperable way.  The best guidance I’ve seen on
moving from concept to product is from Pragmatic Marketing:
http://www.pragmaticmarketing.com

As I think about what we’re trying to accomplish, it seems like what we need
(regardless of what we call it) are the following:

·         Market Requirement Document
(MRD<http://www.pragmaticmarketing.com/publications/topics/01/0104sj>)
– what needs in the market are we trying to address (easier registration and
login, portable reuse of personal profiles and other metadata, social
publishing across sites, enhanced security, etc.).  As Eric and Raj observed
at the last board meeting, it doesn’t seem like we can paint this with a
broad brush.  Perhaps there are some baseline requirements across all
markets and applications, but there may be unique requirements by segment
(social web, ecommerce, media & entertainment companies, government,
etc.).   Seems like we should first agree on the key markets/applications
and corresponding
personas<http://www.pragmaticmarketing.com/publications/magazine/1/4/0310sj/>and
use
cases <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_case> we’re trying to address with
V.Next + OpenID Connect.

·         Product Requirement Document
(PRD<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_requirements_document>)
– this is designed to allow people within an organization to understand what
a product should do and how it should work.  Key components are:

o   Purpose and scope, from both a technical and business perspective

o   Stakeholder identification

o   Market assessment and target demographics

o   Product overview and use cases

o   Requirements, including

§  functional requirements (e.g. what a product should do)

§  usability requirements

§  technical requirements (e.g. security, network, platform, integration,
client)

§  environmental requirements

§  support requirements

§  interaction requirements (e.g. how the software should work with other
systems)

o   Constraints

o   Workflow plans, timelines and milestones

o   Evaluation plan and performance metrics

·         Functional Specification (FS) – Seems like only after we have
agreement on the MRD and PRD can we deliver the FS and any corresponding
open source libraries, test suites, deployment guides, etc.

Maybe this seems like a lot of work, and it is non-trivial, but unless we
agree on what we’re trying to deliver, for who, and with what benefits, it
will be hard for us to succeed.  You wouldn’t typically try to build a house
without architectural designs and construction drawings, and if you did, you
might not get what you thought wanted at the outset.

I’m not advocating that this has to be overly detailed and protracted, but
if we can quickly come to consensus on some of these things, it seems like
it will accelerate our long term progress and reduce a lot of friction along
the way.  It will also be invaluable in communicating to RPs and end users
what to expect – not only from V.Next, but w.r.t. the other initiatives like
Artifact Binding, Discovery, Contract Exchange, OAuth 2.0, Portable
Contacts, Activity Streams, etc. and how all these will work together to
address market needs.  I’d love to see us publish an MRD and PRD for V.Next
(using whatever nomenclature we think is appropriate) on the OpenID
Foundation website to share with the world on what’s coming.

Welcoming input from others.

Cheers,

Brian

Brian Kissel

CEO - JanRain, Inc.

bkissel at janrain.com

Mobile: 503.342.2668 | Fax: 503.296.5502

519 SW 3rd Ave. Suite 600  Portland, OR 97204

Increase registrations, engage users, and grow your brand with RPX.  Learn
more at www.rpxnow.com