[OpenID board] Technical Committee Chairs

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Thu May 20 18:29:09 UTC 2010

+1 to what DeWitt said as well.

The WG process should support the parallel development of v.Next and
Connect. It is unclear that either is better at this point, and I think it's
worth investigating each path to their logical conclusions.

As there has been much desire to see v.Next advance, and much frustration
that scant results have been produced in the last six months, I think OpenID
Connect provides a nice — as Don Thibeau would say — forcing function to
help us make some real progress. Competition between two working groups
would not be entirely a bad thing provided that they are both able to
articulate clear goals that produce a sensible, implementable technology
stack.

I see OpenID Connect as a product — which may and may not be able to form
the basis of v.Next — but that should inform the work of the v.Next working
group without dictating it.

Chris

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:46 AM, David Recordon <recordond at gmail.com>wrote:

> +1 to what DeWitt said
>

> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:45 AM, DeWitt Clinton <dewitt at google.com>wrote:
>
>> >From where I'm sitting, I see them as mutually compatible and parallel
>> goals, but not now the same technology, *and that's okay*.
>>
>> Connect being "build on what the web is already doing and very much
>> wants/needs *today*", and v.Next being "what could be done given the
>> luxury of time to explore."
>>
>> The OIDF could make an effort to wait for the latter to build the former,
>> but honestly, the former isn't going to wait for the OIDF.  Which is why I
>> advocate a parallel approach if we hope to see the OIDF involved (and I do).
>>
>> Please correct my understanding of the situation if I got the above wrong,
>> as I'm only following the discussions from the edges and I'm (blissfully)
>> out of the loop.
>>
>> -DeWitt
>>
>> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Brian Kissel <bkissel at janrain.com>wrote:
>>
>>> +1 to Nat's suggestion.  While we know that both David and Joseph are
>>> very
>>> well qualified to lead this committee, if we do have differing
>>> perspectives on the future direction of the next iterations of OpenID, it
>>> would be good to have representatives from both perspectives involved in
>>> leading the process.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Brian
>>> ___________
>>>
>>> Brian Kissel
>>> CEO - JanRain, Inc.
>>> bkissel at janrain.com
>>> Mobile: 503.342.2668 | Fax: 503.296.5502
>>> 519 SW 3rd Ave. Suite 600  Portland, OR 97204
>>>
>>> Increase registrations, engage users, and grow your brand with RPX.
>>>  Learn
>>> more at www.rpxnow.com

>>> http://twitter.com/_nat_en

Chris Messina
Open Web Advocate, Google

Personal: http://factoryjoe.com
Follow me on Buzz: http://buzz.google.com/chrismessina
...or Twitter: http://twitter.com/chrismessina

This email is:   [ ] shareable    [X] ask first   [ ] private