[OpenID board] Connect WG

Santosh Rajan santrajan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 08:34:24 UTC 2010

Questions inline

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Luke Shepard <lshepard at facebook.com> wrote:

> We have complained for years in the OpenID community that we don't see
> enough adoption.

Who complained for how many years? I have seen you around here for only a
year and odd months. Please do correct me if i am wrong.

That we don't have a great mobile story. That the spec is too complicated.
> That relying parties can't get the attributes they want. The fact is that
> most of the major identity providers have adopted or are planning to adopt
> OAuth 2.0 largely because it solves many of those problems.

Great to know this, Thank you for informing us. Where were you all this
while?

> I believe in OpenID. I believe in the concept of a decentralized identity.
> I think the OpenID Foundation, by bringing together myriad companies and
> individuals, is in a unique position to really help bring cohesive,
> standardized technology - but only if it responds to the realities of the
> marketplace.

If you really believed in OpenID you should have worked on your ideas here.
And not bring it from some where else. As for marketing and marketplace, i
really believe that a great marketere is someone who knows something about
his product which others don't know. What do you know about OpenID, that
others don't know about? What are you bringing to the table?

> My main goal is to see the next generation of identity technology built. A
> secondary goal is that it is built within the OpenID Foundation. I don't
> know what the technology will look like exactly - both Nat's and David's
> proposals have merit. I think the best way to figure out the tech is to
> implement it, experiment, and try it out in production. I think the wrong
> way to make it happen is to bicker over the exact wording of the working
> group before it's even started.

So if somebody disagrees with you, it is called "bickering"?

> As Allen said, this work will happen - must happen. The main question to
> the OpenID Foundation is whether it wants to encourage innovation or drift
> into irrelevance.

Encourage whose innovation? Facebooks innovation? OAuths innovation? I would
rather "drift into irrelevance" than take up some one else's innovation.

http://hi.im/santosh