[OpenID board] Adoption: are we ready? (Was: Re: board Digest, Vol 37, Issue 10)

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 04:09:20 UTC 2010

OpenID's proponents are different than Linux's and require a different
approach.

Specifically, you can download and run Linux on your own machine; if
something goes wrong and you're a hacxx0r, you can fix it.

With OpenID, it's less clear how an individual can pitch in, aside
from under-leveraged demand-side efforts like demand.openid.net that
attempt to prove consumer interest to potential RPs.

We must do MUCH more heavy lifting -- bringing the horses to the
trough so-to-speak -- in order to get them to drink. We must develop
the language, then, that allows people to express their desires, if
not just become aware of them by realizing what's possible (i.e. No
more passwords! How? Support OpenID!). We haven't developed, let alone
promoted, these memes widely enough yet, so that'd be one area that I
think marketing could tackle.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone 2G