[OpenID board] Introducing the 2011 OpenID Community Board Representatives

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 00:41:52 UTC 2010

Congrats all! I'm looking forward to working with you in 2011. We've got a
lot of work ahead of us — and I hope we can find the right balance of
pragmatism and innovation to deliver a solution that the market wants and
that retains the values and principles that OpenID stands for.

Chris

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 5:29 AM, Don Thibeau <don at oidf.org> wrote:

> Dear Members,
>
> Thank you for voting for those who will represent you at this pivotal time
> for OpenID. This is to introduce the newly elected community directors of
> the OpenID Foundation Board. In 2011 Brian Kissel and Allen Tom will be
> fulfilling the second year of their terms as community representatives.
>  Marc Frons has resigned from the second year of his service because of
> pressing business issues at the New York Times.
>
> Mike Jones, Chris Messina, Nat Sakimura and John Bradley bring deep domain
> expertise in online identity to their board service.  I think it’s fair to
> say their election reflects a community-wide acknowledgement of the
> consistency and quality of their contributions in recent years. The election
> of Kick Willemse and Axel Nennker signals an important shift towards more
> international leadership on the board. At last week’s Identity Next
> Conference and at the Identity Summit in Geneva, Nat, John, Kick and Axel
> led discussions expanding a more global view of OpenID's adoption and
> updating its technology with our colleagues in the EU. Nat, Mike, Kick and
> John have been elected to two years terms. David Recordon will represent
> Facebook in 2011.
>
> It’s important to acknowledge the contributions of Luke Sheppard, Mike
> Ozburn, Dick Hardt, Joseph Smarr, Daniel Jacobson and Rob Harles. Each
> contributed the energy, talent and diversity of views that makes the
> foundation an occasionally frustrating, increasingly complex and unique
> resource in online identity.  Because of their efforts, the 2011 board
> starts the new year with a mandate for building momentum around the merged
> AB/Connect working group and the restructuring the OIDF to be a more
> effective, more international organization.
>

> Technology development and board deliberations rarely follow a graceful
> upward curve. With the push / pull of competing business models and the
> cross jurisdictional impact of online identity, it’s easy to underestimate
> the time and commitment required of directors to reconcile corporate,
> community and global interests in a rapidly changing identity ecosystem. The
> board has important work to do right from the start of 2011.  It must
> leverage and deploy the unique assets of the foundation, its leadership as a
> convener of OpenID Summits , its authoritative voice in standards
> development, and most importantly its growing worldwide community.
>
> This is to you to engage with this new board from the start. We will soon
> publish a calendar of OpenID Summits, reorganize our governance and advance
> the utility of our “product” through the AB/Connect working group.  Blog
> your views at openid.net, serve on work groups and contribute to the
> development of one of the most important technologies of our time.
>
> Don Thibeau
> Executive Director
> openid.net <http://www.openid.net>

Chris Messina
Open Web Advocate, Google

Website: http://chrismessina.me
Blog: http://chrismessina.me/b
Follow my updates: http://twitter.com/chrismessina

This email is:   [ ] shareable    [X] ask first   [ ] private