[OpenID board] Introducing the 2011 OpenID Community Board Representatives

Don Thibeau don at oidf.org
Thu Dec 16 13:29:20 UTC 2010

Dear Members,

Thank you for voting for those who will represent you at this pivotal time
for OpenID. This is to introduce the newly elected community directors of
the OpenID Foundation Board. In 2011 Brian Kissel and Allen Tom will be
fulfilling the second year of their terms as community representatives.
Marc Frons has resigned from the second year of his service because of
pressing business issues at the New York Times.

Mike Jones, Chris Messina, Nat Sakimura and John Bradley bring deep domain
expertise in online identity to their board service.  I think it's fair to
say their election reflects a community-wide acknowledgement of the
consistency and quality of their contributions in recent years. The election
of Kick Willemse and Axel Nennker signals an important shift towards more
international leadership on the board. At last week's Identity Next
Conference and at the Identity Summit in Geneva, Nat, John, Kick and Axel
led discussions expanding a more global view of OpenID's adoption and
updating its technology with our colleagues in the EU. Nat, Mike, Kick and
John have been elected to two years terms. David Recordon will represent
Facebook in 2011.

It's important to acknowledge the contributions of Luke Sheppard, Mike
Ozburn, Dick Hardt, Joseph Smarr, Daniel Jacobson and Rob Harles. Each
contributed the energy, talent and diversity of views that makes the
foundation an occasionally frustrating, increasingly complex and unique
resource in online identity.  Because of their efforts, the 2011 board
starts the new year with a mandate for building momentum around the merged
AB/Connect working group and the restructuring the OIDF to be a more
effective, more international organization.

Technology development and board deliberations rarely follow a graceful
upward curve. With the push / pull of competing business models and the
cross jurisdictional impact of online identity, it's easy to underestimate
the time and commitment required of directors to reconcile corporate,
community and global interests in a rapidly changing identity ecosystem. The
board has important work to do right from the start of 2011.  It must
leverage and deploy the unique assets of the foundation, its leadership as a
convener of OpenID Summits , its authoritative voice in standards
development, and most importantly its growing worldwide community.

This is to you to engage with this new board from the start. We will soon
publish a calendar of OpenID Summits, reorganize our governance and advance
the utility of our "product" through the AB/Connect working group.  Blog
your views at openid.net, serve on work groups and contribute to the
development of one of the most important technologies of our time.

Don Thibeau
Executive Director
 <http://www.openid.net> openid.net