[OpenID board] September 23, 2009 OpenID Executive Committee Call Minutes

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Tue Oct 13 18:09:08 UTC 2009

September 23, 2009 OpenID Executive Committee Call Minutes

Attendees:
Mike Jones
Nat Sakimura
Brian Kissel
Don Thibeau, Executive Director

Absent:
David Recordon
Scott Kveton
Raj Mata

Visitors:
John Ehrig, Global Inventures
Mike Ozburn

1.       Executive Committee Membership Changes
At the next full board meeting we plan to vote to appoint Nat as Vice-Chair and Mike Ozburn as Treasurer.  We propose that Nat continue to act as international Liaison until after the next election occurs.  In the context of international interest in OpenID, Don reported that a number of non-US governments have contacted him and asked for information about other potential government adoptions of OpenID.

2.       Membership and Financial Status Review
Don will be presenting a review of our membership and financial status at the next board meeting.

3.       US Government Initiative Update
John Bradley is continuing to work on the profiles, despite no longer being compensated by the OIDF, nor to our knowledge, by the ICF.  Don is trying to arrange for some government funding to be directed to John, to assure continuity of the effort.

Vivek Kundra has informed Don that some additional pilot sites are being considered, some under the auspices of the White House and some not.  Furthermore, some may be at higher levels of assurance.

Progress is occurring on the trust framework development process.  We are continuing to do this work jointly with the ICF, both to share resources, and to draw upon additional expertise to support our efforts.  In particular, we need legal help on a volunteer basis.  We will be sharing this effort with the Center for Democracy, among others, next week in DC.  Don will also be talking with Brett McDowell of Kantara about potential collaboration opportunities in this area as well.  We want our trust framework provider application to be general enough to be applicable in contexts outside US Government uses, if possible.

One measure of the US Government's commitment to this effort that we will be closely monitoring is whether the government funds additional pilot projects and John Bradley's efforts.  As they say, "money talks".

4.       openid.net Website
Our web site was updated, thanks to hard work by Chris Messina.  There was a consensus that the full board should pass a motion officially thanking Chris for his significant contribution and work above-and-beyond the call of duty.

5.       Bylaws and IPR Document Updates
We will have updated versions of the Bylaws and IPR documents to approve at the next full board meeting.  Don committed to getting versions ready for votes to the board by a week before the full board meeting so that we can review these documents with our respective legal counsels.

6.       Inventory of Existing IPR Agreements
John Ehrig has collected and will be publishing an inventory of existing signed IPR documents.  The next step will be to determine who else we should have agreements from and to work to obtain them.

7.       OpenID Trademark
We have obtained a legal review from Scott Blackburn on the issues that we need to tackle to defend the OpenID trademark.

8.       Date and Topics for In-Person Board Meeting
We are planning to piggy-back our in-person board meeting in November to the end of IIW.  It will likely be Thursday afternoon and Friday morning - November 5 and 6.  Don and John are working on a schedule and proposed topics for the board meetings for the remainder of the year.

9.       Extension of Don's Contract
The executive committee unanimously extended Don's contract for a term of another six months.