[OpenID board] [board-private] IPR and Bylaws Documents for Review

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Tue Oct 6 05:22:42 UTC 2009

I had a mixed reaction when I read your comments, David.  On one hand, your comments obviously have merit.  On the other hand, incorporating them now would incur another round of legal review, with the associate costs and delay in approving a revised set of Bylaws.  (For one thing, you only made comments -- rather than proposing specific alternate wording that all of our lawyers could review before the votes on Wednesday.)

With that in mind, I'd advocate that at the board meeting on Wednesday, the board votes to approve either the version circulated by John Ehrig, or the version with the one sentence correction that I sent out over a week before the board meeting (so the members' legal staffs would have a week's time to review the changes, per the agreement on the executive committee call).

Given that the board can change the bylaws at any time with just a board vote, I think it's more important to approve something that's "good enough" on Wednesday, bringing the bylaws up to date with the present reality, than to continue to tweak them before approval until they're "perfect".

I hope others will agree so that we can approve a set of vastly-improved bylaws, even if we may choose to fine-tune them again at some future date.

			My two cents worth,
				-- Mike