[OpenID board] Status of the OpenID Foundation Europe

Henrik Biering hb at netamia.com
Wed Nov 25 17:04:54 UTC 2009

I am extremely happy to see Don's response to the problems outlined in
this thread.
Definitely some support from the OIDF is needed to get Europe on track.

Don:
Prague in late April seems fine from a climatic point of view, but I am
not sure that an OpenID seminar or workshop should be an integral part
of the Catalyst Conference. I think the matters prospective large  RP's
want to have resolved before kick-off are much more basic  business
issues: "Whats in it for me?", "How will it impact my existing
userbase", "Did anyone else do it with success ($$)?", and in some cases
"Is it secure?" They need a cookbook rather than a palette of 100
options, which is why I think is is important to have the UI and AX
specs settled asap. It is also a question of whether the location(s)
should rather be selected based on the concentration of potential RP's.
Maybe now is a good time to start gauging the interest in various countries.

Santosh:
As soon as you take OpenID to assurance levels higher than 0, we have
common legislative issues and industry associations within Europe that
makes a coordinated effort feasible in some respects. Whether or not a
separate organization is mandated or not should be resolved as part of
the work proposed by Don. In general an organization has a purpose if it
facilitates the work that needs to be done rather than getting in the
way of it (btw. thats why OpenID-DK is organized as a network rather
than a legal entity).

=henrik