[OpenID board] Some comments about the OpenId Europe and local representatives

Andy Powell andy.powell at eduserv.org.uk
Thu Nov 5 10:45:25 UTC 2009

Here's my gut feeling on this...

I think there is a global OpenID community and on that basis the board needs global representation on it if possible.  I'm not convinced that trying to build sub-communities on a geographical basis makes much sense other than:

1)    to organise local events and so on, and

2)    to lobby national governments to adopt OpenID (in the way that the OpenID Foundation and Information Card Foundation have been doing in the US).

On that basis, I think that trying to build a European community is at the wrong level - it's too broad for both the events and the lobbying.  Building communities at a lower level might work...

However, I'm on the advisory board for the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative which has tried to encourage national affiliates (primarily as a funding model) with associated national communities and in my experience it is very hard to get those national communities working properly - things either happen globally, or they don't happen at all.

Just my 2c (Euros!).

Hope this helps,

Andy

Andy Powell