[OpenID board] Motion: allow use of OpenID trademark on Google Code (part 1 of 2)

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Sat May 30 01:40:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Martin Atkins <mart at degeneration.co.uk>wrote:

> It seems that github also satisfies all of the above requirements, with the
> advantage of making it easier to pull changes from the individual maintainer
> repositories due to github being designed with this in mind. Github also
> supports multiple repositories per account, so each library can have its own
> repository, maintainers, etc.

Yes, but not everyone is familiar with GIT yet. SVN is much more widely
known, I would think, in the general world of development at this time.

I'm enamored by Github, but that doesn't mean that it's what everyone's
using yet.

(I'm also a little confused as to what the advantage is of having "a central
> place to check out", given that the purpose of checking out is to contribute
> changes and changes will be contributed somewhere else. What is the purpose
> of checking out a working copy of repository other than the one you want to
> ultimately commit to?)

My goal is raise the visibility of the libraries and the current home on
OpenIDEnabled.com has failed to produce a community of active maintainers,
from what I've seen.

Perhaps it's just a matter of setting up a page at
http://openid.net/codethat's a cleaned up version of
http://wiki.openid.net/Libraries. I could certainly start there.

The purpose of checking out the latest stable version of a library (or even
latest unstable branch) is to enable folks to run the latest code in their
projects and then update them easily when new versions are released. Perhaps
tarballs are sufficient, but it seems like giving different communities like
WordPress a simple place to do an SVN checkout from would be valuable.

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong, or to support my proposal.

> Both the PHP library and the Perl library I maintain are already on github.
> I'd be happy to have the libnet-openid-perl repository on my github account
> (apparentlymart) forked into the openid account on github as long as
> someone's going to commit to maintaining that fork.

Unless someone steps up, it's unlikely to happen, I guess.

But therein lies the rub: we have failed to develop a community of
maintainers for the OpenID libraries and I think we're worse off for it. I'm
attempting to get some momentum for such a community by centralizing at
least a listing of the libraries in a familiar place that developers are
used to seeing.

GitHub doesn't provide a way to customize the homepage of a project, and so
we need a place that is clean, approachable, well-designed and is easy for
someone on the board (or some other dedicated community member(s)) to
maintain.

Again, I can start with creating a page on OpenID.net, but the symbolic
achievement of having a central repository to me somehow seems important,
and is what is motivating my desire to finally make this happen.
Chris

--
Chris Messina
Open Web Advocate