[OpenID board] Motion: allow use of OpenID trademark on Google Code (part 1 of 2)

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Fri May 29 22:39:59 UTC 2009

To yours and Luke's question: the basic purpose here is to have one
convenient place where people can *check out* OpenID libraries.
OpenIDEnabled.com historically served that purpose, but it's hard to manage
access and to maintain the site — and it's not well integrated with the
OpenID.net site. Moving to Google Code wouldn't necessarily bring about
tighter integration with OpenID.net, but at maintaining the site wouldn't
require additional resources (the design of OpenIDEnabled.com leaves
something to be desired, not to mention the conflict created by the RPX ads
on the site — though of course we appreciated Janrain's hosting and
contributions to the libraries!).

Furthermore, rather than having all the work go on on the Google Code site,
people could pick and choose where to host their projects, but we would
simply provide a checkout from the Google Code site, again, making it easy
to stay up to date with the latest libraries.

This is the model that I've used with the OAuth libraries and it seems to
have worked out okay:

http://oauth.googlecode.com and http://oauth.net/code

Does that make this clearer? I'm not interested in forcing people to use
Google Code to work on the libraries, but I do want one consistent, easy to
maintain place to get the libraries, where it's also possible to delegate
access to various community members to help update and maintain the content.

Chris