[OpenID board] Getting Membership Management Under Control

Nat Sakimura sakimura at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 03:17:55 UTC 2009

Re: Foundation Web Site

It is kind of surprising for me that this foundation cannot even list
the corporate member logo on the site.
(Note: not only the sustaining member.)

OpenID Japan with much smaller budget has been doing it from the outset.
It is doing regular seminars and hosting other opportunities to fulfil
our obligation.
Taking membership means one has obligation to fulfill. Failing to do
it can have no excuse.
I believe the foundation is using Wordpress as CMS. I am not that
familier with Wordpress,
but it should be able to do it. If it is not, then the CMS needs to be changed.

FYI, I manage bunch of non-profit organization sites.
It really does not take much to maintain them.

=nat

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 7:27 AM, Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.)
<eddy_nigg at startcom.org> wrote:
> Hi Luke,
>
> On 06/03/2009 12:41 AM, Luke Shepard:
>
> Hey Eddy,
>
> I don’t have the historical context here (I just joined the board in
> February) so forgive my ignorance. What are the specific things that you
> have been fighting for that you haven’t seen come to fruition?
>
> In the meantime I found the supposed member benefits which are stated at
> https://openid.net/foundation/members/
>
> In particular I see the following critical shortcomings with benefits of
> Company/Organizational Membership:
>
> Display your corporate logo/name on the OpenID Foundation website and
> promotional materials
> Be eligible for inclusion in OpenID Foundation press releases and industry
> events
>
> For any corporate member this might a critical added value for becoming a
> corporate foundation member of the foundation. Those are the benefits which
> differ from the individual membership. When looking at the fees, this has a
> hefty price too. But we haven't received them!!!
>

> I’m pretty sure that the maintenance of the foundation website is more a
> matter of resources and lack of general consensus than a malicious attempt
> to exclude.
>
> At least it should be addressed when made aware of. I've been in contact
> with Bill and Don, but I wasn't able to advance our cause one iota.
>

> Also, with the exception of Allen Tom (who has long been a community
> advocate since before Yahoo became a provider), none of the community
> members are currently also corporate members.
>

> You are correct. I'm retracting my previous statement.
>

> Regards
>
> Signer:  Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd.
> Jabber:  startcom at startcom.org
> Blog:  Join the Revolution!