[OpenID board] Getting Membership Management Under Control

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Tue Jun 2 22:27:00 UTC 2009

Hi Luke,

On 06/03/2009 12:41 AM, Luke Shepard:
> Hey Eddy,
>
> I don’t have the historical context here (I just joined the board in
> February) so forgive my ignorance. What are the specific things that
> you have been fighting for that you haven’t seen come to fruition?

In the meantime I found the supposed member benefits which are stated at
https://openid.net/foundation/members/

In particular I see the following critical shortcomings with benefits of
Company/Organizational Membership:

    * Display your corporate logo/name on the OpenID Foundation website
      and promotional materials
    * Be eligible for inclusion in OpenID Foundation press releases and
      industry events

For any corporate member this might a critical added value for becoming
a corporate foundation member of the foundation. Those are the benefits
which differ from the individual membership. When looking at the fees,
this has a hefty price too. But we haven't received them!!!

> I’m pretty sure that the maintenance of the foundation website is more
> a matter of resources and lack of general consensus than a malicious
> attempt to exclude.

At least it should be addressed when made aware of. I've been in contact
with Bill and Don, but I wasn't able to advance our cause one iota.

> Also, with the exception of Allen Tom (who has long been a community
> advocate since before Yahoo became a provider), none of the community
> members are currently also corporate members.

You are correct. I'm retracting my previous statement.

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
Jabber: 	startcom at startcom.org <xmpp:startcom at startcom.org>
Phone: 	+1.213.341.0390