[OpenID board] Getting Membership Management Under Control

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Tue Jun 2 19:17:20 UTC 2009

Hi Chris,

On 06/02/2009 09:59 PM, Chris Messina:
> I am open to Eddy's point about large companies steam-rolling the
> foundation, but am unclear what contributions smaller companies have
> attempted to make that have been thwarted because of their
> participation. If anything, the larger companies have validated the
> protocol in the marketplace and driven a great deal of value for its
> adoption, though not without creating a compromised situation with
> directed identity where big brands are placed in priority against
> self-hosted OpenIDs.

I'm not criticizing the efforts made by the big members, but I also feel
that efforts made by some of the less important board members and other
community members are either ignored or are going nowhere...In this
respect I have some testimonials received in private mails, and some is
obvious for anybody involved longer than  1- 2 years. Look who is
running the show....

However my critic is much less that, but rather things which should have
been done which were of importance to StartCom. Initially I think it was
Bill who tried to get some of the things going, but he quit as the head
of the foundation. Trying it after a long wait with Don has resulted
exactly in nothing.

Every member has (or might have) its own reasons for joining - one of
the main reasons which were important for StartCom simply were ignored
eventually (after a nice email confirming that it's taking care of).
Therefore there is hardly any basis to keep the membership for the
company without the return in expected value. (It might be for me as an
individual though).

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
Jabber: 	startcom at startcom.org <xmpp:startcom at startcom.org>