[OpenID board] [OpenID] Members Login broken

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 02:00:35 UTC 2009

I'm generally of the mind that we leave it is as for now and not waste more
time debating this. I don't think it's worth $2000 of the foundation's money
to work on this and I think we have more important things to deal with.
I think if we started with open sourcing the OIDF voting tool, that would at
least provide a means to inspect the current sign in system so that any
enterprising member with time or money on their hands could contribute a
fix, but for the meantime, I think the majority of the membership is served.

I also don't think that a membership vote is what's needed here; instead we
need leadership and the ability to decide what are absolute priorities that
will lead to the widest benefits.

While there's cause to provide support to members having trouble signing in
to the site, I don't think we need to make major modifications to our
current approach if it is generally accessible and workable for 90%+ of the
membership.

Perhaps Janrain could provide us with stats on current failure rates with
RPX so that we could better evaluate the wisdom of making additional
investment in alternative logn solutions?

Chris

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) <
eddy_nigg at startcom.org> wrote:

>  On 01/27/2009 01:30 AM, Brian Kissel:
>
>  Seems there are a couple of questions to answer with login at OpenID.net:
>

> 1.       What will work the best consistently for all our existing and new
> potential members (intuitive, reliable, inclusive, cost effective, etc.).
> Seems everyone is in favor anything that achieves these objectives.
>
> 2.       How important is it that login is neutral (not favoring any OP,
> not provided by any vendor).  There has been discussion on both sides of
> this topic, not only for login but for the OpenID wiki (currently at
> pbwiki), OpenID.net on Wordpress, hosting documents at Google docs, etc.
>
> 3.       How much are we willing to spend to fix it and keep it operating
> properly.  The current estimate that is on the table from Refresh Media is
> that it will take $1500 to $2000 to fix the original generic type in box UX
> to accommodate i-names and directed identity.
>

> Given that there appears to be a diversity of opinion, would it be
> worthwhile to use our polling tool to allow the membership to weigh in?  If
> not, we can just give the green light to Refresh Media to get started.
>
> If this is the only way, than I'd would vote for it. Considering that there
> will be an added benefit for others...but also here the cons and pros have
> gone around already.
>
>   Regards      Signer:  Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
> Jabber:  startcom at startcom.org  Blog:  Join the Revolution!<http://blog.startcom.org>
> Phone:  +1.213.341.0390