[OpenID board] [OpenID] UserVoice on OpenID.net

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 21:00:32 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 8:13 AM, David Fuelling <sappenin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but GetSatisfaction appears to be more aimed at
> Customer Support, whereas Uservoice is more about soliciting new ideas from
> people about your products.  It's not a cut and dry issue, though, since
> getSatisfaction allows customers to post "ideas" instead of questions, but
> this is not GetSatisfactions' core service (IMHO).

Typically Satisfaction is geared more towards triage and customer support --
where there are products and the like involved. I'm an advisor to
Satisfaction and advocated for their support of OpenID (which is not without
its wrinkles) and love their service, but it's better designed for companies
with customers.

> I personally use GetSatisfaction, and am very happy with it, though I think
> if I we're looking for new ideas (e.g., how to improve the OpenID website) I
> might give Uservoice a try.
>
> What's the purpose of this widget?  To offer customer support-like features
> (like, I can't login - please help me)?  Or is it aimed more as a tool for
> new ideas?

The purpose of using the UserVoice widget would specifically be to solicit
feedback about the website, about our documentation and other kinds of ideas
for how the OIDF could better serve the membership.
I would not suggest using UserVoice (in our instance) for customer support
issues. It would primarily serve as a tool for generating feedback and then
having votes tallied for which ideas are most popular. In this way, I think
it's a nice, lightweight approach to gathering membership sentiment.

Chris

--
Chris Messina
Citizen-Participant &