[OpenID board] Smoothing the OpenID Process

David Recordon david at sixapart.com
Wed Jan 21 16:23:09 UTC 2009

Hey Nat et al,
I think this discussion is really fruitful and is identifying the
issues that we have right now with the process.  My point around
naming conventions was less around if the spec title has "OpenID" in
it or not at the start, but more around the bar to having "OpenID" in
the title.  Today, the proposal needs to be approved by the Specs
Council and membership (with a vote designed specifically to pass to
make it easy to get started) but once this happens the bar of it
becoming finalized and continuing to be called "OpenID" is also very
low.  We're thus seeing the specs council try to raise this bar at the
beginning which isn't working.  This should instead be happening
toward the end.  This is further complicated by the amount of mandated
review placed into the process making it take nearly a year to produce
a new specification.

I see two ways to solve this:
1) Keep the current process for working groups but create a lighter
weight pre-process for proposals that don't yet clearly fit within the
scope of OpenID.  This thus gives the specs council, community and
membership a more tangible document to review during the working group
process.  (In many cases, the OpenID-OAuth hybrid spec did this just
outside the pervue of the OIDF.)
2) Change the current process to make it easier to get started, make
sure that working groups are referred to was incubating, drafting,
etc, and then add some form of community based technology review
towards the end of the process.

In either case, we should also address the amount of time currently
allocated for various stages of review and clarify things such as if
an implementors draft is or is not required.

I'm thinking that a gant chart might be a useful way to look at these
process options so I'll try to put one together starting with our
current process.

--David