[OpenID board] Smoothing the OpenID Process

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 02:25:44 UTC 2009

Nat Sakimura wrote:

> /*BE IT RESOLVED that the members of OpenID Foundation board have agreed
> to amend the OpenID process document to clarify that no draft may claim
> OpenID trademark until it is ratified to be an implementor's draft
> status or full specification status. */

This is troublesome because generally OpenID specifications are named
simply "OpenID <What It Does>" (see: OpenID Simple Registration
Extension, OpenID Attribute Exchange).

Having to invent another name to use while drafting the specification
seems like a needless waste of effort.

Can it not simply be required that the drafts display prominent
boilerplate text explaining that the specification is only a draft? It'd
also be good to get a policy in place for the expiry of unapproved
drafts so that they go away after a period of time. For example, I would
argue that we don't need eight historical draft versions of OpenID 2.0
on http://openid.net/specs/ ; having it under version control and
tagging the published drafts ought to be sufficient.