[OpenID board] Perceptions of OpenID

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 20:26:43 UTC 2009

Ok.
So let me repeat back my takeaway: the foundation can not, will not, and
should not endorse any particular OpenID user experience. However, it can
support, patronize, solicit and otherwise help promote user experience work
that might bring about recommendations, guidelines or actual interfaces.

Similarly, the foundation might go about paying a firm to develop a
marketing plan, but can not say how OpenID should be used. Only that it
should be used. For things. ?

I guess I'm a little confused here. I'm fine with setting up boundaries for
what the foundation can and can't do... and I'm thinking that perhaps I just
need to chair a non-foundation committee that works on OpenID UX, because,
in fact, I DO want to come up with explicit recommendations and best
practices that tell people PRECISELY how to implement OpenID on their
websites and in their applications.

I was trained as a designer and have worked in open source for the last five
years (I'm a baby still, I know), but I know that open source tends to do
really poorly when it comes to usable, consumer-friendly design. While
there's a little "government competing with private enterprise" here, we
MUST provide direction for people about how to make OpenID usable, and can
not merely rely on the private sector to sort this out (since they've not
provided solid recommendations yet!). I don't think that the foundation
should provide its own OpenID provider, for example, but insomuch as people
are going to come to us looking for advice on how to make OpenID work for
them (including making it comprehensible by mere mortals), we have to change
our approach and give them something they can use.

So, maybe this work happens outside the walls of the foundation... but I'm
going to need folks more familiar with the bylaws to explain to me how to go
about this work above the pale... I'm not interested in stepping on toes,
but the current allergy to OpenID UX work from the foundation has to be
overcome.

Chris