[OpenID board] Officer Elections?

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Sun Jan 4 07:29:35 UTC 2009

David Recordon wrote:
> I'm not sure if we need a more formal process, though what you proposed
> (of self nominations) is different than last time when one board member
> nominated another.

The other notable difference is that last time the officer nominations
happened after a month or two when folks had already settled into
certain roles, or had at least shown an interest/aptitude for them.

> I need some more time to think about companies as officers of the
> Foundation -- it feels a bit strange -- though allowing it would then
> effect the composition of the executive committee which is currently the
> four officers (Chair, Vice-Chair, Treasurer, and Secretary) in addition
> to one corporate board member (which seems to go against "we are one
> board in all respects other those specifically called out in the
> bylaws").  If the officers were allowed to be companies, then it does
> not seem like the fifth member of the Executive Committee should be
> limited to a corporate board member.

It might be helpful to consider the practical implications of a
corporate board member serving as an officer:

  * If for some reason the company was to change its representative,
that would also change the officer too.

  * The company would be effectively promising to devote company time to
that role. (For a community board member, it's assumed that they're
personally responsible for getting the work done; if they want to do it
on company time they need to negotiate with their employer separately.)

I can't think of any other significant differences, personally.