[OpenID board] OIDF board meeting 1/8/2009 2pm PST ...

Scott Kveton scott at kveton.com
Thu Jan 1 23:58:49 UTC 2009

> The call is open to all of the board members and since the call-in
> information is out there now, technically anyone could dial in.  In
> the past we've had the calls "closed" and although it isn't my
> decision to make, it seems like a good idea to make them "open" to the
> membership at large.  In the end, only the BOD will be able to cast
> votes, etc.
>

> I think this to be a good idea. Sometimes a member wants to join and present
> a certain point of view to the board about a specific issue. I wouldn't
> expect now hundreds of dial-ins, but it's good that it's possible to join
> and transparent.

IMHO - the board calls are *not* the place for members to join and
present a certain point-of-view.  In this case, we'd never get
anything done.  The proper venue for general member discussions on
organizational or board issues would be this list.

The board calls are a place for the BOD to vote on issues, report on
progress of committees and generally make sure the OIDF is on track to
deliver on its promised vision/mission.

When I mentioned that I thought it would be good to have the calls
open to the general membership it was in the interest of transparency.

All that said, this is just IMHO.