[OpenID board] OIDF Board information session (not an official board meeting) at Facebook next Tuesday - input for OIDF 2009 priorities

David Recordon david at sixapart.com
Sun Feb 8 00:23:44 UTC 2009

Another goal I have is increasing and improving the tools that are provided to developers around OpenID from traditional libraries to testing tools to JavaScript-based user interface components.  The past six to nine months I've been hearing from many members of the community around the World that the  existing  open source libraries are falling behind and many larger implementations are writing their own libraries rather than using those that exist.  I think Google Summer of Code might be one tactic to help us do this, but we need to work with the community in putting together an overall strategy.

--David

----- "Brian Kissel" <bkissel at janrain.com> wrote:

Agreed, this will not be an official board meeting, but a discussion session providing input for 2009 priorities.  We should target having a recommendation to discuss at the board call on February 18 th .

Does anyone else have topics they’d like to cover or suggest as priorities in advance of the session?  I’ll try to organize our thoughts in a way that we can have a productive and effective session and try not to rehash a lot that has been said in the past.  If possible, we should try to get agreement on the top few initiatives and possibly some measures of success for each.  If we have time left over we can list potential programs and initiatives directed at achieving the desired results.   Here’s what we have so far:

·          Goal: improve the UX of OpenID

o    Measures of Success: UX is intuitive and consistent across OpenID-enabled websites; no major concerns by actual/would-be adopters; OpenID login success rates > username/password login success rates (Johannes)

o    Supporting programs and activities:

·          Goal: improve the security of OpenID

o    Measures of Success:

o    Supporting programs and activities:

·          G oal: improve the availability and consistency of user profile data available

o    Measures of Success:

o    Supporting programs and activities:

·          Goal: establish successful reference deployments of OpenID across specific website categories to address the “chicken and egg” resistance

o    Measures of Success:

o    Supporting programs and activities:

·          Goal: improve awareness and understanding of the benefits and use of OpenID, for RPs and end users

o    Measures of Success:

o    Supporting programs and activities:

·          Goal: develop a plan for if, when, and how OpenID could be extended into online retail applications

o    Measures of Success:

o    Supporting programs and activities:

·          Goal: The OpenID brand is clearly defined, known and considered valuable by the general public (not just techies), and backed by an effective trademark regime. (Johannes)

o    Measures of Success: Specific results from brand surveys, examples of enforcement against infringers of the brand and trademark

o    Supporting programs and activities:

·          Goal: OIDF is organizationally and financially sound for the long term and for the benefit of the entire global community (Johannes)

o    Measures of Success: permanent staff, further increasing corporate support, sufficient resources for well-planned/coordinated activities taking place world-wide.

o    Supporting programs and activities:

·          Goal: OpenID-related innovation is driven by the needs of the marketplace, not just technical coolness (Johannes)

o    Measures of Success: Substantial, active involvement in a broad range of working groups by mainstream businesses

o    Supporting programs and activities:

·          Goal: obtain broad market involvement in OpenID including Financial, Web Commerce, Transportation, Social Sites, Internet Providers, Telcos, and Government (Nat)

o    Measures of Success:

o    Supporting programs and activities:

Cheers,

> Brian

Brian Kissel

Cell: 503.866.4424