[OpenID board] Facebook Joins OIDF Coverage Roundup

David Recordon david at sixapart.com
Fri Feb 6 08:54:22 UTC 2009

With the OpenID.net and Facebook posts this afternoon, so far we've
had great coverage of Facebook joining the board (and I'm sure I've
missed a bunch of blog posts, Twitter, etc as well).  Thanks to
everyone who pitched in and helped and I look forward to the design
summit next week!

--David

Facebook joins OpenID Foundation Board with a commitment to better
user experience
http://openid.net/2009/02/05/facebook-joins-openid-foundation-board/
Facebook’s financial contribution along with its membership on the
board signals the company’s enthusiasm to work more closely with the
OpenID community, building up momentum towards their adoption of
OpenID as a standard. Facebook furthering its commitment to openness
couldn’t have come at a better time to make 2009 an amazing year for
OpenID and the wider social web.

Next Steps in Openness
http://developers.facebook.com/news.php?blog=1&story=192
The future of an open and social Web will be measured not by
protocols, but by how much we collectively improve the standards and
technologies that enable us and others to give people more powerful
ways to share and connect.

5 Reasons Why Facebook + OpenID is Good News
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/why_facebook_openid_good.php
The two systems of logging in to distributed websites, OpenID and
Facebook Connect, have been characterized as rivals - OpenID being the
high-minded but socially awkward one who doesn't get invited to
parties despite being a really good person and Facebook Connect being
the rich preppy popular kid from the 80's movie who's a bully but is
good at sports.  Now they've joined forces, on some level. Cynics
immediately said it would make no difference, that their cynicism
remained unchanged, or that Facebook was likely to "pull a Microsoft"
and try to destroy OpenID. We disagree. We think this is good news.
Here is why.

Facebook Joins OpenID in Quest for Universal User Accounts
http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/Facebook_Joins_OpenID_in_Quest_for_Universal_User_Accounts
This should prove to be the boost OpenID needs to spur further
development. With increasing enhancements by Google and Facebook, it
could have been easy to forget OpenID. However, now with Facebook
officially on board, it seems the big league companies won’t let that
happen — a move uncharacteristic for two companies who should be
battling for user data. In the end, this is a win for users with
privacy concerns who want the ability to control this data themselves
by making the data and the technology behind it portable and
controllable under open source licenses.

Facebook Throws its Weight Behind OpenID
http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/02/facebook-throws.html
The resulting effects of this partnership on data portability are
unclear. And whether Facebook and the rest of the internet are now
part of the same big happy family remains to be seen. But for those
worried about Facebook Connect derailing OpenID or causing it to die
on the vine, this is huge.

Facebook Joins OpenID Foundation Board
http://www.insidefacebook.com/2009/02/05/facebook-joins-openid-foundation-board/
By putting its weight and financial support behind OpenID, it’s clear
that Facebook is pretty serious about furthering the OpenID movement.
However, it will likely take a lot of collaboration between Facebook
and OpenID to hammer out details on multiple issues (like user
experience and security) before Facebook would become a full OpenID
relying party (i.e. start accepting OpenIDs from other providers on
Facebook), Chris Messina told Inside Facebook.

Facebook Joins OpenID Foundation Board
http://www.allfacebook.com/2009/02/facebook-joins-openid-foundation-board/
While Facebook has not yet committed to support many of the open
standards, joining the board is a sign of commitment. While Facebook
may choose to duplicate and recreate their own version of many of the
standards, it’s always important to be part of the conversation.
Personally, I’m interested to see what other steps Facebook will make
to support these new standards.

Facebook steps into OpenID Foundation
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-10157980-36.html
This is a bit of a surprise because Facebook has developed its own
universal log-in standard, Facebook Connect, which theoretically
competes with the nonprofit OpenID standard. It should be noted that
Facebook has not yet announced any official plans to make the two
compatible, and that just joining the board and hosting an event might
not quell the criticism from open-source advocates who say Facebook is
still too proprietary in its nature.

Facebook joins OpenID board; How will it Connect?
http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=12368
The OpenID-Facebook effort kicks off with a design summit next week at
Facebook’s Palo Alto campus. The key topics will be user experience
and security. The design summit will focus on how existing OpenID
efforts can support a Facebook Connect-ish experience.  That summit
may be a precursor to interoperability between Facebook Connect and
OpenID. Or this effort may result in nothing all that new. Time will
tell.

Facebook Pledges Support For OpenID; But Will Anything Change?
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/02/05/facebook-pledges-support-for-openid-but-will-anything-change/
At this point it’s unclear exactly what change this will bring to
Facebook. Facebook’s increasingly popular Connect product, which
allows users to secure use their Facebook ID’s as logins across over
4,000 sites (including ours), is a closed and proprietary system. But
it is also very well designed - members from the Facebook Connect team
have given several talks in the hopes of improving the OpenID effort,
and are holding an event on the topic next week.

Facebook to provide OpenID support for users (and financial support
for OpenID)
http://venturebeat.com/2009/02/05/facebook-to-offer-openid-support/
As at least one detractor in the industry has pointed out to me,
though, this likely means that sites using OpenID also have to use
Facebook Connect, the social network’s proprietary method for letting
third parties access and display Facebook user data. A source close to
Facebook retorted that “actions speak for themselves, and Facebook’s
contributions to the successes and adoption of the OpenID protocols
should soon illustrate that it’s about more than becoming a provider.”

Facebook Joins OpenID Foundation; So What?
http://mashable.com/2009/02/05/facebook-openid/
To be honest, I still have doubts. The Facebook Connect experience is
simply better than that offered by OpenID, and from a competitive
standpoint, Facebook has an opportunity to be the standard identity
provider for other websites. While goodwill can created by joining the
OpenID Foundation and sharing what the industry likes to call “best
practices,” at this point, Facebook actually implementing OpenID would
be a far bigger boon to OpenID than it would be to Facebook, and
hence, I don’t see it happening any time soon.

 From f8 to OpenID
http://daveman692.livejournal.com/344657.html
Five months ago I joined Mark Zuckerberg on stage at Facebook f8
during their announcement of Facebook Connect, where I demoed signing
in to comment on a Movable Type blog using my Facebook account. Today,
I get to join Mike Schroepfer, Chris Messina and my fellow board
members in announcing that Facebook has become a board member of the
OpenID Foundation.

Welcoming Facebook to the OpenID Foundation
http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2009/02/04/welcoming-facebook-to-the-openid-foundation/
I’m particularly excited that Facebook has joined after the
conversation that Dave Morin and I had last Friday during our Jelly
Talk. Dave and I were in vehement agreement about a lot of things, and
tantamount was the need for the user experience of OpenID
authentication to improve.

Open Stack FTW: Facebook joins the OpenID Foundation!
http://therealmccrea.com/2009/02/05/breaking-news-facebook-joins-openid-foundation/
This news will surprise (or even shock) many, but I see this as a
natural and expected move. After all, Facebook has been getting more
and more involved in the open community, attending the OpenID UX
Summit last Fall and the Activity Streams meetup a few weeks ago. And
Luke Shepard, from the Facebook Connect team, ran in the recent
election for the OpenID Foundation Community Board. Luke will now be
Facebook’s official representative to the foundation.

Facebook joins OpenID Board
http://www.identitywoman.net/facebook-joins-openid-board
The power and potential of OpenID was that ANYONE with a domain name
could use it - now it seems more and more like just the big “brands”
silo’s are making it work for them and well maybe if you are a super
hacker you could do your own (but we won’t “trust” you). I am worried
that the movement seems to be moving away from empowering everyone
with a blog or even those without “blogs” establishing their own node
in the the network.

Welcome Facebook
http://blog.broadbandmechanics.com/2009/02/welcome-facebook
Congrats to the board members of the OpenID Foundation for getting
Facebook to join our party.  Now we get to see what their version of
OpenID will look.

Facebook Is on the Board. And Now?
http://notsorelevant.com/2009-02-06/facebook-is-on-the-board-and-now/
Though what does it mean? Will Facebook accept OpenID logins? Will it
rebuild Facebook Connect with OpenID baked in? Well, I don’t know.
Neither Facebook’s nor the OpenID Foundation’s blog posts mention it.
Rather they concentrate on user experience.