[OpenID board] URGENT: New Board members motion

Brian Kissel bkissel at janrain.com
Tue Nov 4 00:46:54 UTC 2008

+1 with Dick on additional corporate members.  I've had conversations with BBC (Zac Bjelogrlic, Dirk-willem Van.gulik ) and PayPal (Andrew Nash) and know that both organizations would both like to join.  I don't know who else in on the list of possible new members, but if we have up to 5 corporate spots to fill and these two firms are willing to make a commitment of time and dollars, I think we should not delay.

BBC has already shown their leadership by hosting the Content Provider Advisory Committee meeting in NYC several weeks ago.  They've also OpenID enabled RadioPop and are looking at additional properties to roll out.  They've offered to work with NPR (who was also at the NYC session) to see if we can get BBC, NPR, PBS, and CBC to collaborate on OpenID enablement initiatives.  And in any case, we need some large representative RPs on the BOD.  As I've said before, I think media companies are a next logical adopter of OpenID, so would welcome BBC's membership.

PayPal would also be great because they have a lot of experience in managing phishing and general security infrastructure and represent the perspective of merchants and payment infrastructure providers, which we need represented on the BOD if we want to continue to expand the applicability and value of OpenID beyond user generated content access.

I don't know if these are the companies we're thinking about voting on near term, but if so, I would strongly endorse their membership.  I also agree with Dick that getting the funding commitment from these two companies in uncertain financial times is critical and will actually help with hiring the new ED and coming up with a reasonable budget for the various initiatives we'll want to undertake in 2009.  For those that didn't see Nat Sakimura's announcement about OpenID Japan<http://openid.net/2008/11/03/openid-japan-launches-with-32-member-companies/>, they are making great progress and we need to have equally compelling aspirations.

With respect to community membership, JanRain would certainly welcome the opportunity to contribute as a BOD member, but we'll continue to participate via my membership on the Marketing and Customer Research Committee regardless.

We are working with Research Media to get the OpenID membership polling solution working this week and the BOD election system working next week.   Regardless of that, I don't think we should wait on the BOD vote the two additional corporate members.

There is a lot of good buzz going on right now with the Microsoft and Google announcements.  If we could also announce these two new corporate BOD members at IIW, that we can continue to build on that momentum.

So, IMHO, we should do the vote on the 2 additional corporate sponsors right now (assuming they are still willing) and finalize them this week.  If we want to wait on community members, that's fine with me.

Cheers,

Brian
Brian Kissel