[OpenID board] Revised local chapters policy

Dick Hardt dick at sxip.com
Thu May 8 06:24:54 UTC 2008

On 8-May-08, at 8:14 AM, Nat Sakimura wrote:

> Hi Dick,
>
> In this respect, it comes down to the National Chapter governance
> structure, just same as for OIDF itself.

exactly

> If the governance of the National Chapter is done democratically and
> openly, then those that are not happy with then current administration
> should be able to pursuade other members and correct the situation.

potentially :)

> At the same time, the organization must have the administrative
> capability, since otherwise, even if the decision made by the
> organization is sound, it cannot be executed.
>
> So, in essence, we should
> 1) just define what is an appropreate governance structure for this
> purpose,
> 2) define what is an appropreate admnistrative capability
> and use these as the certification criteria.
>
> Actually, the same applies to OIDF itself.
>
> The content of 1) and 2) above needs more discussion, I think, in
> the WG
> level just like Mike indicated. I do not think Local Chapters policy
> needs to wait for the completion of  such.

So will the OIDF need to review and approve the governance structure
for each national chapter?

I understand and agree the problem can be solved -- the local chapter
proposal has no process for solving the issue I have raised. What
would you suggest we add to the proposal so that the process for
approving a national chapter is not arbitrary?

-- Dick