[OpenID board] TR: A new chapter in the OIDF

Snorri snorri at snorri.eu
Wed Jun 4 08:15:58 UTC 2008

Dear Members of the Board:

As I write this, my first thoughts go to Bill Washburn, with whom I have had
the pleasure to be in contact over the last few months. Bill and I had begun
an exchange/discussion on different themes, such as my possible visit to the
USA to help out with OpenID this summer.

As a man of action, who likes working in the field to achieve concrete
results, I welcome with enthusiasm the new approach the Board wishes to
take, its desire to “Open a New Chapter.”

This announcement revives my hopes to consolidate or bring to bear a number
of actions and negotiations I had initiated in the world outside the
US/Canada so far

I welcome this decision by the Board; I want you to all to know that I am at
your entire disposal to assist or actively participate, in one way or
another, to bringing OIDF into this new phase.

This is a good time I think to present you with an Executive Summary of 25
concrete actions <http://www.snorrigiorgetti.fr/actions>  I have taken to
boost OpenID everywhere I could over the last few months:

- 01 | Europe | Creation, legal registration and leadership of the OpenID
Europe Foundation <http://www.openideurope.eu/>  with the help of my
wonderful team <http://www.openideurope.eu/team/> ;

- 02 | Intellectual Property | Writing of a Trademark
<http://www.openideurope.eu/policies/openid-trademark-policy>  Policy +
Protection of the OpenID Brand at the WIPO level: enter "OpenID" here
<http://www.wipo.int/romarin/processLocalization.do?language=en>  +
Protection of the domain names, e.g.: openid.asia <http://www.openid.asia/>
;

- 03 | Finance / Governance | My proposal to make OIDE a Corporate/Founding
Member of OIDF so as to bring its financial support and contribution to the
annual revenue (several exchanges of emails with Bill Washburn);

- 04 | Government | The French Government (with which we have made tangible
progress in promoting OpenID) will be presiding the European Union in 2009.

This may offer a tangible opportunity to boost OpenID deployment in
Europe—thanks to contacts we have established with several “Commissions
<http://ec.europa.eu/grants/index_en.htm> ”;

- 05 | Normalization | Initiation of the Normalization Process of OpenID
specifications to a European
<http://www.cen.eu/cenorm/sectors/sectors/isss/index.asp>  standards body;

- 06 | Adoptions / RPs | First small “wave” of adoptions with over 400 RPs
well established in Europe, e.g.: the Swiss
<https://id.local.ch/en/?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.local.ch%2Fen%2F>  Yellow
Pages, an Insurance <http://www.netassur.fr/default.aspx?pr=sec&pa=openid>
company, a  <http://www.memup.fr/OpenID_r135.html> “BtoB” site for online
sales, a Music <http://www.mx3.ch/account/login>  portal,

- 07 | Marketing | Marketing actions such as the Opening of the OpenID Store
<http://www.openidstore.com/>  (delivery of gifts, exclusively in Europe);

- 08 | Events | Participation to all events
<http://www.snorrigiorgetti.fr/events.htm>  concerning digital identity,
organizing OpenID dinner/meetings in European cities and capitals, e.g.:
Berlin <http://news.openideurope.eu/berlin> , Basel
<http://www.sakimura.org/en/modules/wordpress/index.php?p=37>  in
Switzerland;

- 09 | OIDF | My small contribution to mailing lists or committees (local
chapters <http://openid.net/foundation/chapters/> ) + Management of the EU

- 10 | Lobbying | Multiple meetings with CEOs and decision makers in
corporations or major Internet Sites, e.g.: Jean-Bernard Levy
<http://www.vivendi.com/corp/en/governance/dir_levy.php> , Chairman of
Vivendi (Music, TV, Telco
);

- 11 | E-Commerce | Meetings with E-commerce organizations such as FEVAD
<http://www.fevad.com/> , to which most European sites participate with as
objective the organization of Journée (Day long Event), devoted to “The
Advantages of OpenID” in each capital;

- 12 | Local Chapters | The set up of over 15 Local Chapters  (each with an
infrastructure capable of bringing them to a level equal to that of France
<http://www.openidfrance.fr/> ), in Europe (Switzerland, Sweden, UK, Greece
<http://www.openid.com.gr/>
), but also in Asia (Thailand
<http://openid.in.th/> , China, Korea, New Zealand), in the Middle East
(Iran <http://www.openid.ir/> ), in Africa (South Africa), and in South
America (Argentina <http://www.openid.com.ar/> )
;

- 13 | Memberships | We have obtained financial support from businesses
<http://www.openideurope.eu/foundation/members/>  in Europe, but also we
have obtained funds from local chapters, and redistributed these;

- 14 | Community | We are permanently in contact with the OpenID Community
and we are also proactively contacting its members, e.g.: trip to Totnes
<http://www.snorrigiorgetti.fr/totnes.htm>  (UK Parliament constituency) in
the UK to confer with directly with Mark Cross
<http://markcross.openid.co.uk/>  (OpenID UK);

- 15 | Bank/Loyalty Programs | Meetings with banking
<http://www.groupe.caisse-epargne.com/asp/ci_modele3.aspx?ml=826>
organizations and large distribution groups which have an interest in pilot
programs and trial runs for their consumer loyalty development programs
(Loyalty Cards with OpenID)
;

- 16 | Worldwide Community | Founding of organizations on four continents:
OpenID Europe (June 2007), inception of OpenID Asia
<http://www.openidasia.org/>  and, soon to come, "OpenID Africa & Middle
East,” and “OpenID Latin America";

- 17 | Local Initiatives | Regional projects with contacts at the local
government level or of a University or at the City level:  e.g.: “One OpenID
for each Parisian” with the “Mairie
<http://fr.lutece.paris.fr/fr/jsp/site/Portal.jsp?article_id=76&portlet_id=5
7>  de Paris”
;

- 18 | Networking | Establishing and maintaining relationships with persons
motivated to support OpenID in over 45 countries: e.g.: a computer school in
Iraq or an entrepreneur/writer in Armenia (Albert
<http://www.albertpoghosyan.com/>  Poghosyan)
;

- 19 | Cobranding | Pooling of interests with NICs/National registrars
(DNS.lu <http://www.restena.lu/restena/en/EN-Presentation.htm>  or AFNIC
<http://www.afnic.fr/_en> ) to launch projects such as “1 domain name = 1
OpenID + 1 Digital Identity for Each “Internetter;”

- 20 | Studies market | Various studies to bolster OpenID (RPs), e.g.:
“Today one Internet User in 2 <http://www.snorrigiorgetti.fr/Study.ppt>
(50% of users) abandons the registration process the moment they are asked
to fill in a form”;

- 21 | Documentation/translation | Initiation of a set of indispensible
Technical Documentations and efforts to have them translated in several
languages;

- 22 | Partnerships | With several SSIIs to implement OpenID e.g.: AF83
<http://www.af83.com/>  (Louis Montagne, CEO);

- 23 | Projects | Various Projects we intend to rework during the next few
months, e.g.: OpenID Source <http://www.openidsource.org/>  (the Developers
Community) or OpenID World <http://www.openidworld.com/>  (Usage
Statistics);

- 24 | Media / Press Releases | Regular contacts with the Press, interviews,
articles published in various magazines
<http://www.snorrigiorgetti.fr/article.pdf> ;

- 25 | Actions | Many other concrete actions!

Most of them have been able to get off the ground thanks to the
establishment of the OIDE Foundation, which gave them their footing, thanks
to its indispensible legal existence.

If you would like to learn more about my (personal) vision of actions I
think (IMHO) would be effective, and which we should consider taking in the
future in order to write that “New Chapter.” In the case of OIDF, the main
goal / objective is Exponential Adoption Growth–please contact me, we can
discuss my “Worldwide Strategic Operational Plan” together.

Bill Washburn was the first to suggest that I come spend the summer in the
States this year. I am quite ready to spend my summer stateside. Please let
me know what you think of this idea, and give me a concrete answer.

I remain at your disposal to discuss all these possibilities

Kind regards,

-Snorri

P.S.: PDF here <http://www.snorrigiorgetti.fr/actions> and html with the
links:

- 01 | Europe | Creation, legal registration and leadership of the OpenID
Europe Foundation < <http://www.openideurope.eu/>
http://www.openideurope.eu/> with the help of my wonderful team: <
<http://www.openideurope.eu/team/> http://www.openideurope.eu/team/>;

- 02 | Intellectual Property | Writing of a Trademark Policy <
<http://www.openideurope.eu/policies/openid-trademark-policy/>
http://www.openideurope.eu/policies/openid-trademark-policy/>  + Protection
<http://www.openid.asia/> http://www.openid.asia>;

- 03 | Finance / Governance | My proposal to make OIDE a Corporate/Founding
Member of OIDF so as to bring its financial support and contribution to the
annual revenue (several exchanges of emails with Bill Washburn);

- 04 | Government | The French Government (with which we have made tangible
progress in promoting OpenID) will be presiding the European Union in 2009.

This may offer a tangible opportunity to boost OpenID deployment in
Europe—thanks to contacts we have established with several “Commissions” see
< <http://ec.europa.eu/grants/index_en.htm>
http://ec.europa.eu/grants/index_en.htm>;

- 05 | Normalization | Initiation of the Normalization Process of OpenID
specifications to a European standards body, see <
<http://www.cen.eu/cenorm/sectors/sectors/isss/index.asp>
http://www.cen.eu/cenorm/sectors/sectors/isss/index.asp>;

- 06 | Adoptions / RPs | First small “wave” of adoptions with over 400 RPs
well established in Europe, e.g.: the “Suisse Pages Jaunes” (the Swiss
Yellow Pages) <
<https://id.local.ch/en/?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.local.ch%2Fen%2F>
https://id.local.ch/en/?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.local.ch%2Fen%2F>, an
Insurance company, see  <
<http://www.netassur.fr/default.aspx?pr=sec&pa=openid>
http://www.netassur.fr/default.aspx?pr=sec&pa=openid>, a “BtoB” site for
online sales, see < <http://www.memup.fr/OpenID_r135.html>
http://www.memup.fr/OpenID_r135.html>, a Music portal, see <
<http://www.mx3.ch/account/login> http://www.mx3.ch/account/login>

- 07 | Marketing | Marketing actions such as the Opening of the OpenID Store
< <http://www.openidstore.com/> http://www.openidstore.com/> (delivery of

http://news.openideurope.eu/berlin>, Basel in Switzerland <

< <http://openid.net/pipermail/eu/> http://openid.net/pipermail/eu/>;

<http://www.fevad.com/> http://www.fevad.com/>), to which most European
sites participate with as objective the organization of Journée (Day long
Event), devoted to “The Advantages of OpenID” in each capital;

- 12 | Local Chapters | The set up of over 15 Local Chapters  (each with an
infrastructure capable of bringing them to a level equal to that of France <
<http://www.openidfrance.fr/> http://www.openidfrance.fr/> ), in Europe
(Switzerland, Sweden, UK, Greece < <http://www.openid.com.gr/>
http://www.openid.com.gr/>
), but also in Asia (Thailand <
<http://openid.in.th/> http://openid.in.th/> , China, Korea, New Zealand),
in the Middle East, in Iran < <http://www.openid.ir/> http://www.openid.ir/>
), in Africa (South Africa), and in South America (Argentina <
<http://www.openid.com.ar/> http://www.openid.com.ar/> );

- 13 | Memberships | We have obtained financial support from businesses <
<http://www.openideurope.eu/foundation/members/>
http://www.openideurope.eu/foundation/members/> in Europe, but also we have
obtained funds from local chapters, and redistributed these;

- 14 | Community | We are permanently in contact with the OpenID Community
and we are also proactively contacting its members, e.g.: trip to Totnes (UK
Parliament constituency) < <http://www.snorrigiorgetti.fr/totnes.htm>
http://www.snorrigiorgetti.fr/totnes.htm> in the UK to confer with directly
with Mark Cross < <http://markcross.openid.co.uk/>
http://markcross.openid.co.uk/> (OpenID UK);

- 15 | Bank/Loyalty Programs | Meetings with banking organizations <
<http://www.groupe.caisse-epargne.com/asp/ci_modele3.aspx?ml=826>
http://www.groupe.caisse-epargne.com/asp/ci_modele3.aspx?ml=826> and large

<http://www.openidasia.org/> http://www.openidasia.org/> and, soon to come,
"OpenID Africa & Middle East,” and “OpenID Latin America";

- 17 | Local Initiatives | Regional projects with contacts at the local
government level or of a University or at the City level:  e.g.: “One OpenID
for each Parisian” with the “Mairie de Paris,” see <
<http://fr.lutece.paris.fr/fr/jsp/site/Portal.jsp?article_id=76&portlet_id=5
7>
http://fr.lutece.paris.fr/fr/jsp/site/Portal.jsp?article_id=76&portlet_id=57
>;

- 18 | Networking| Establishing and maintaining relationships with persons
motivated to support OpenID in over 45 countries: e.g.: a computer school in
Iraq or an entrepreneur/writer in Armenia
 Albert Poghosyan <
<http://www.albertpoghosyan.com/> http://www.albertpoghosyan.com/>);

http://www.restena.lu/restena/en/EN-Presentation.htm> or AFNIC France <
<http://www.afnic.fr/_en> http://www.afnic.fr/_en>) to launch projects such
as “1 domain name = 1 OpenID + 1 Digital Identity for Each “Internetter;”

- 20 | Studies market | Various studies <
<http://www.snorrigiorgetti.fr/Study.ppt>
http://www.snorrigiorgetti.fr/Study.ppt> to bolster OpenID (RPs), e.g.:
“Today one Internet User in 2 (50% of users) abandons the registration

<http://www.af83.com/> http://www.af83.com/> (Louis Montagne, CEO);

<http://www.openidworld.com/> http://www.openidworld.com/> (Usage