[OpenID board] Draft guidelines for local chapters

Nat Sakimura sakimura at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 16:46:24 UTC 2008

I feel like too many fragmented chapters in one level would cause
management, compliance, and budgeting problem for OIDF. While it is
appealing to envisage school level chapters and national level
chapters equal, I feel that it is more practical to introduce some
layers there like many sports organizations are organized.

For example, in our case

OpenID Foundation (International)
- OIDF Continents (e.g., OpenID Europe)
-- OIDF National (e.g., OpenID U.S., Canada, France, Japan, etc. )
--- OIDF States (e.g., California, Tokyo, Manitoba, etc.)
----- OIDF Regional (can be cities, schools, etc.)

In the beginning, I think there would be OIDF International and National.
In areas like Europe, where EU like thing already exist, Continent
level one can also be organized.

It would also help to establish a guideline for budget distribution as well.
In general, after taking the budget for the international activities,
it will be allocated to the National level organization, and they will
be further allocated to the down stream. We need to do the decision
closer to the edge. At the same time, however, we have to keep track
of the effectiveness, book, and compliance, which will be an overhead
for the organizations. This means, to be viable as a chapter, they
need to be above certain size as well. So, it will actually help to
group them together like the above so that for the organizations below
certain level, the one above it can take care and absorb those
overhead.

Sorry to talk about economics of these things, but usually, if
economics does not work out, things will not work out after all.

2008/2/28, Snorri <snorri at snorri.eu>:

> Dear Mike,
>

> Yes for University/students of course you are right! Or in countries with no
> much Internet surfers…
>
> (and it's a first step)
>

> But attention to propose a model close the Wikimedia Foundation… OpenID is
> really different…
>

> I think is important to have a strong visibility on the local chapter to
> avoid the drifts!
>
> And unfortunately too free management offers these possibilities…
>

> A good legal way would be to propose a "Trust Large local chapter" like OIDE
>
> Tomorrow why not "OIDA" (OpenID Asia, I help the community to start),
> "OpenID Africa & Middle East" and "OpenID Latina" to organize their network
> and relieve an excessive work for OIDF.
>

> Soon, I'm at your disposal…
>

> Cheers
>

> -Snorri