[OpenID board] OpenID Foundation and Japan

Nat Sakimura n-sakimura at nri.co.jp
Tue Feb 12 05:36:10 UTC 2008

All-

We had a very productive meeting this morning in Tokyo, with Seki-san of
SixApart, Sakamoto-san and Ishikawa-san of Verisign Japan and myself
(from Nomura Research Institute, and XDI.ORG).

Among other things, here are our concensus:

1. Japanese organization should start as the Japan Chapter of OpenID
Foundation.
    (i.e., no legal entity but a virtual chapter of OIDF as Seki-san
suggested in
   the previous mail.). Thus, to join Japan Chapter, it has to be a
member of
   OIDF, thus policies around IPR, trademark, membership, etc would also
apply to
   them.

   Its primary purpose includes:
   - Promotion of OpenID in Japan through:
       - Preparation of Japanese translation of the SPECs.
       - Preparation of Introductory Materials to End users explaining
          - How to use OpenID
          - Why using OpenID is good.
       - Establishing working groups to discuss issues including
Japanese specific ones.
       - Press Relations
   - Feedback to OpenID Foundation on the findings and requests from
Japanese market.

2. We should target at annoucing it on Feb.28, when David comes to Japan.
     Outline of the proposed announcement is being prepared right now.

3. For this to happen, obviously, we need OpenID Foundation's endorsment.
    Also, OIDF's assistance to encourage Japanese entities of those
Corporate Board
    comapnies to join Japan Chapter is sought.

4. In pararell to 3. , we start recruiting the Japanese members.

Bill, if the boards are ok with these, could you kindly follow up
especially with
item 3. above, please?

Regards,

--