[OpenID board] BOARD VOTE: Motion to update Rails plugin and OpenID.net ...

Scott Kveton scott at kveton.com
Fri Dec 19 02:27:05 UTC 2008

I'm going to try to sum up a few points here in this note.

First off, thanks Brian and JanRain for going the extra mile here to
look at other options.  While I appreciate that the work RPX
represents is best-of-breed at this time, it is still not vendor
neutral to use this on the Foundation website.

Brian: while I appreciate that we want to employ the most usable
solution as the membership base expands, I do think the vast majority
of members will understand what a URL is.  The same would be true with
Bluetooth; consumers of Bluetooth didn't join that organization, its
vendors looking to take advantage of the technology.

That being said, JanRain gets the added bonus that this all clearly
shows the business case for RPX; OpenID is still hard to
implement/deploy. :-)

> To Dick's point, if we want to defer spending the $2K until after the new
> BOD is place, one other option to consider for the near term is to put a new
> front end on RPX that is vendor neutral - the same text type in box that we
> used to have.  Larry created a mockup and I'd imagine that Refresh Media
> could implement this a lot less expensively than the current proposal.
> Here's the link to a demo: http://rpxdata.appspot.com/oem_plain_demo

At the end of the day I want this to work even after the election.
We'll still have members signing up and we don't want to have to
revisit this time and again.  I'd be happy to retract my motion in
favor of this solution to be implemented after the election is
completed.

> We'd need to get Refresh to confirm, but I don't think it would take much
> time to make the change.

Darin/Peat: is this doable?

Thanks everybody,

- Scott