[OpenID board] BOARD VOTE: Motion to update Rails plugin and OpenID.net ...

Scott Kveton scott at kveton.com
Thu Dec 18 02:54:46 UTC 2008

> So the Rails part is incidental, right?  Thus the motion could be rephrased
> as "pay Refresh Media $2k to upgrade their plugin to support OpenID 2.0 and,
> as per the usual arrangement, open source the code"?

To clarify, Ruby on Rails has an assortment of open source plugins
that do all manner of things.  There happens to be one for OpenID that
is out-of-date and has issues with things like directed identity and
XRI's.  These would be fixed and then the patches would be submitted
back to the maintainer of the open source OpenID plugin for Ruby on
Rails.

> If so, I have no objections to that motion per se, but I'd also say a) the
> executive committee should be able to authorize this spending out of a
> pre-approved budget and hence it shouldn't need a board vote, and b) I'd
> rather us not vote on anything non-critical until the incoming BoD is in
> place in a couple of weeks.

Agreed on a) but we have not set that pre-approved budget.  As for b)
I wouldn't have made the motion if I didn't think it was critical.  I
see this as wrapping up loose ends for the new board instead of voting
on non-critical things.

> I very much like Brian's earlier point about making sure that the new ED and
> incoming board have as much of a budget to work with as possible.

While I agree with this in practice, $2000 is not that significant an
investment to make sure the OIDF membership software is vendor
neutral.

- Scott