[OpenID board] The Specs Council and Process (WAS: Re: Executive Committee meeting 12/18/2008 ...)

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 19:10:44 UTC 2008

David Recordon wrote:

> I know that I was intimately involved in creating this process but the
> more that I see it in practice, the more that I know we must change it
> and understand why new innovative work like the OpenID and OAuth
> Hybrid occurs outside the purview of the OpenID Foundation.  (And yes,
> I understand how I'm being a bit hypocritical by saying that getting
> started should be easier yet only for the work that a core group feels
> fits into what OpenID is which can be done in many different ways.)
>
> I guess my point is that we need to make it much easier to get
> started, though make sure it is hard for something to be called
> "OpenID" when it clearly doesn't use existing OpenID technology or
> does something wildly different.  Right now our process is loaded up
> at the start and at the end, which means that people are going and
> starting elsewhere.

Almost all of the proposed working groups are really just posted as a
formality because the specs are already being drafted by folks outside
of the working group framework.

None of the specs that we've actually managed to get published were
started under the OIDF "working group" regime, and as far as I can tell
none have actually been successfully completed under it.

Let's just write the specs and figure out the IPR afterwards. This
working group approval bullshit isn't productive.