[OpenID board] The Specs Council and Process (WAS: Re: Executive Committee meeting 12/18/2008 ...)

David Recordon drecordon at sixapart.com
Wed Dec 17 17:22:28 UTC 2008

Yeah, this is something we're working on taking care of.  Right now
the challenge is:
  - There are a few proposals for working groups with very little
consensus among the community around any of them
  - Most of the working group proposals are still drafts
  - Mike Jones has a thread going with other specs council members
about how we need to respond to these proposals
  - The specs council does not currently have a mailing list and there
is a struggle between creating another low traffic list versus using
an existing list.  I've been asked to make a list, which I can do,
though there is little to no consensus that we should do so

I then personally have a larger struggle with the process in place.  I
strongly believe that it does not do good for OpenID to have it pushed
in divergent technical directions (we've seen what happened with 2.0
as it tried to please everyone) though feel that the community has
very little power to prevent that.  While I could drive toward
consensus on the specs@ mailing list that a proposal still needs
changes to fit along with the direction of OpenID, technically the
specs council would be hard pressed to use that as a reason to not
approve a working group.

The specs council is given a list of four reasons that it can not
approve a new working group.  To take a lack of consensus on the
specs@ mailing list as input, it would have to decide  either "that
the proposal contravenes the OpenID community’s purpose" (where the
Foundation says "OpenID is a set of freely available enabling
technologies that facilitate individuals to use their identity and
profile from one web resource to access many others in a
decentralized, secure, and easy fashion built upon existing web
technologies.") or "that the proposed WG does not have sufficient
support to succeed or to deliver proposed deliverables within
projected completion dates."  While significant part of the technical
community might disagree with a working group proposal, I don't see
there being a way (as a member of the specs council) to in good faith
decide that it contravenes the purpose or except in extremely grave
cases that it would not succeed.

 From there the proposal goes to a vote of the membership which is
structured in such a way as to pass with a quorum requirement of 20%
of the membership or 20 members, whichever is greater, and a simple
majority vote.

Beyond all of that, the quickest that a working group can be formed is
no more than 15 days of review by the specs council (which we're
failing at right now), plus a 14 day notice period of the membership
vote, plus a 7 day voting period.  This thus means that by our current
process it takes approximately a month for new work to begin.

 From there, the fastest that a working group could produce a final
specification is theoretically 120 days.  The IPR Process requires a
review period of at least 60 days (which PAPE is going through right
now) for a final specification.  From there, assuming that no one
objects around IPR or the board for legal liability, a 45 day review
period for the membership of the Foundation is started which results
in a 14 day voting period to approval the specification and officially
call it "OpenID <something>".  This thus means that from the day the
working group feels they have their final draft, it will take 119 days
(~4 months) for the specification to go through all of the needed IPR
review steps.

I know that I was intimately involved in creating this process but the
more that I see it in practice, the more that I know we must change it
and understand why new innovative work like the OpenID and OAuth
Hybrid occurs outside the purview of the OpenID Foundation.  (And yes,
I understand how I'm being a bit hypocritical by saying that getting
started should be easier yet only for the work that a core group feels
fits into what OpenID is which can be done in many different ways.)

I guess my point is that we need to make it much easier to get
started, though make sure it is hard for something to be called
"OpenID" when it clearly doesn't use existing OpenID technology or
does something wildly different.  Right now our process is loaded up
at the start and at the end, which means that people are going and
starting elsewhere.

--David