[OpenID board] Voting validation & wording

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 18:00:00 UTC 2008

The current language on the voting page is somewhat confusing:

> This election is running and votes can be cast one vote per candidate up to
> the total number of seats available; for this election, that means you get 7
> votes. Make sure you vote by December 24, 2008.

> Please note that you can only cast votes once (unlike seconding nominees).
> After you submit your votes, you cannot change your votes or cast additional
> votes.

Seems like this would be more clear:

Voting is now open until December 24, 2008.

> There are a total of 17 candidates vying to fill seven board seats. You
> may cast up to, but no more than, seven votes, and you only vote for each
> candidate once.
>

> You will only be able to submit your votes once, and cannot make changes or
> add additional votes once you have submitted them.
>

> Results will be announced by Dec 31, and the new board will be installed on
> Jan 1, 2009.

I also attempted to vote for 10 candidates to see if I'd be given an error,
and I was not. I suggest either returning an in-page error or doing a
Javascript detection that only allows you to select up to seven candidates
and then disables the rest of the checkboxes.

Chris

--
Chris Messina
Citizen-Participant &