[OpenID board] Updates to the website and blog

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 18:52:34 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 10:38 AM, David Recordon <drecordon at sixapart.com>wrote:

> Makes sense.  I'm unsure if Refresh Media was also planning to update the
> site, we should find out first.  We should also make sure that the various
> plugins we're using are compatible with 2.7.

I'll drop Peat and Darrin an email, unless someone else is on point with
them. As with most things, since this is in front of me, I'm motivated to
make it happen. Before you know it, I'll be on to some other fire, and this
update won't happen, so finding out their plans ASAP would be great.

> We also want to change our current spam plugin from Defensio to Akismet.
>

> Why?  Quite honestly as I'm managing comments I much prefer Defensio due to
> how it splits up spam by "spamminess".  Makes it much easier to filter
> through as someone who blogs on OpenID.net.

Primarily because Defensio was preventing ANY comments from going through
until Nov 25 because it was calling private APIs within the OpenID plugin
and the developer seems uninterested in updating the plugin.

It also breaks the WordPress 2.6 admin interface and it's unclear whether
it's compatible with 2.7, though Akismet is known to be compatible.

Will upgraded my account on the blog to be able to handle some of these
maintenance tasks, so I don't mind pitching in and doing the same kind of
chores that I do on the OAuth blog, etc.

> I also think that we should (now, or after the election) pick someone to be
> responsible as the go-to person for the server, and who will maintain the
> software and access rights to the server. That's a somewhat separate issue,
> but it's something that we need some leadership, or at least responsibility,
> on.
>

> Yes, Scott and I have been sharing this role which I think is actually
> working well.  The issue is more finding people with time who want to work
> on things, not getting access to do them. :)

I think Will would be interested in serving in this capacity as well, but I
won't speak for him.
I do know that have a triumvirate responsible for the server would probably
make for good accessibility and redundancy, but it also requires, as usual,
clear, open and transparent communications between those with time and
access.

Chris

--
Chris Messina