[OpenID board] Trademark problem?

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Wed Dec 3 00:18:56 UTC 2008

On 12/03/2008 01:51 AM, Dick Hardt:

> What price is that? Easy to judge from the sidelines ...

The price of having information hidden and the community/foundation
members uninformed and excluded from the process. (Hint: I miss some
really lively discussion which make up typical open source/open
standards discussions on mailing lists. They are usually useful for the
decision makers and the processes in general, despite the noise.)
> If you think you can do a good job on the board, please nominate
> yourself to the board!

Unfortunately I couldn't dedicate the time which I think a board member
would/should have to invest in order to be useful. Another time perhaps.
This however doesn't mean that I don't want to be informed and part of
the processes, otherwise the company I represent wouldn't be a
foundation member in first place.

Now, in the context of the supposed trademark violation I want to
understand of which nature those violations are and what exactly is
going on. Otherwise it's some kind of spreading FUD, because from what I
heard so far, there will be "negotiations"...Shall I understand that we
can negotiate on the OpenID trademark? I don't see the benefit from
hiding this issue away, quite the opposite. If the board can't present a
clear stance on such issues and signal clearly to the community and
public in general how such violations are handled and of which nature
they are - and have the community involved in this process - then (IMO)
the board failed in its leadership role.

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
Jabber: 	startcom at startcom.org <xmpp:startcom at startcom.org>
Phone: 	+1.213.341.0390