[OpenID board] Trademark problem?

Dick Hardt dick.hardt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 23:51:41 UTC 2008

On 2-Dec-08, at 2:31 PM, Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) wrote:

> On 12/03/2008 12:15 AM, Dick Hardt:
>> The realities of earned media dictate that premature disclosure would
>> not benefit the Corp or the Foundation. We want the media to write
>> about a new Corp joining. If it has already been leaked, it is not
>> "news" hence it is not covered to the same extent -- which dilutes
>> the
>> marketing value of an organization joining.
>>

> One must evaluate the benefits of non-disclosure versus the
> temporary benefit of a PR stunt. You might be right that it most
> likely would spoil the party, but there is a price to be paid. The
> question is, if it's worth the price, an assessment  most likely not
> everyone will judge the same I guess.

What price is that? Easy to judge from the sidelines ... and don't
confuse real PR with PR stunts. If it was not for earned media, OpenID
would not exist today.

>> The board is charged with looking after the best interest of the
>> Foundation and the community. The community elects board members that
>> it thinks will best represent the community, and to make the right
>> decisions about which discussions are in the best interest of the
>> community to be temporarily behind closed doors.
>>

> Besides that the current board is self-elected and current corporate
> members are a fact (for the better or worse). The community nor
> members of the foundation were involved in any of these decisions, a
> fact which must be recognized.

The original board was decided by all the people that had gotten
together to start the Foundation. While it was not an election, it was
a decision by the community at that time.

> Obviously the situation will be soonish improve and the foundation
> is on the right path. But it has been previously noted (not be me),
> that certain decisions should be delayed until a duly elected board
> is in place.

If it was not clear before, I will make it clear now. I agree the
board failed in holding elections in a timely manner. We are where we
are, and we will have elections before the end of the year.

If you think you can do a good job on the board, please nominate
yourself to the board!

-- Dick