[OpenID board] Trademark board meeting issue

Drummond Reed drummond.reed at cordance.net
Wed Mar 7 23:14:54 UTC 2007

+1

=Drummond

-----Original Message-----
From: board-bounces at openid.net [mailto:board-bounces at openid.net] On Behalf
Of Martin Atkins
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 10:50 AM
To: board at openid.net
Subject: Re: [OpenID board] Trademark board meeting issue

Dick Hardt wrote:
> I agree this is not something the board can decide and needs to
> reflect the community.
>
> I'm concerned that someone posting the question to general@ will not
> lead to a desirable outcome as most people are not educated on TM
> issues.
>
> I would suggest that trademark usage be part of the IPR policy and
> that the board propose a policy to the community which can then be
> approved.

Agreed. This seems to follow the same basic procedure as OpenID specs:
someone drafts a proposal, and then the community argues about it for a
while until a compromise is reached and there is consensus.

I see no reason why published OpenID Foundation policies shouldn't
follow suit, since this approach has worked okay for specifications so far.