[OpenID board] board Digest, Vol 3, Issue 3

Thomas Huhn (Solution Media) th at solution-media.de
Wed Mar 7 15:17:01 UTC 2007

Thanks Johannes for making this a topic on the agenda and thanks to Randy
for donating the logo to the foundation.

As this discussion is concerning the trademark issue of the intended new
logo of the OpenID Directory I hope you don´t mind me joining you on this
topic. I think it´s easier to find the right path when everybody knows what
exactly the talk is about.

After launching the OpenID Directory we had a lot of feedback and we tried
to catch up with what the community was expecting from us since then. We are
ready now to launch most of the requested features (e.g. OpenID login,
protected voting etc.) which also impacts an optical roundup.

Until now we only had a textline and no logo at all.  So our thought was not
only TO BE a motivated supporter of the OpenID community, but also TO SHOW
our adjacency visually. That´s why we took Randys logo as a base for
creating a new logo for the OIDD which you can find on our development
server http://dev.openiddirectory.com .

We also see the integrated OpenID logo as a symbol of quality. And that´s
exactly what we want to achieve: listings of quality approved OpenID enabled
sites. At the moment we just do our own checks, but as soon as there´s an
official guideline, we will follow up on it.

We hope you see this issue the way we do. But we respect copyrights and
trademarks and the opinion of the OpenID community we´re all part of. So we
leave the decision up to you how to proceed with our proposal.

Thanks to everybody for spending their time on this,
Thomas

BTW: aside from the trademark aspect logo design is always a matter of
taste, I think. Randy already mentioned that he would probably prefer to
have the word Directory in a Helvetica Neue font ;-). Anyway, we like it the
way it is, but are totally open for discussions.