[OpenID board] IPR Policy and Process Proposal

Dick Hardt dick at sxip.com
Wed Apr 25 04:24:58 UTC 2007

On 25-Apr-07, at 2:31 AM, Drummond Reed wrote:

> Dick,
>

> RE the IPR Policy, Blanket Reciprocity term, I don’t think you give
> a license for anything other than the Necessary Claims you
> contribute. The issue is that if you sue another Contributor for
> ANYTHING – even something totally unrelated to OpenID – you lose
> the license they have provided to any Necessary Claims they
> contributed.
>
> See the suggestion in the Blanket Reciprocity open issue section
> for a simple way to fix that.
If I can't sue, I can't enforce, and I effectively have granted a
license. Even with the suggested change, If someone's implementation
infringes on a patent that is NOT required to implement OpenID, then
if I sue, then they can counter sue for infringing on any OpenID
related patent. Effectively I have granted a right to any patent used
in their implementation.

> RE the formal process, I agree that essentially it’s a very
> lightweight standards process. Call it a community process. But if
> you read Gabe’s proposal closely, the full skeleton is there.
> Voting (which would take place directly on the lists), membership
> (which involves only membership on the lists), governance (which is
> this process doc itself) is all covered – it’s all just very
> lightweight.

Given the IP significance of this, the voting process is too loose.
This is not open source software where there is a right to fork and
on-going support of a core group is needed to move forward. The
dynamics around a standard are quite different, and my experience
with voting on the OpenID list has been very disappointing and
inconclusive.

> Overall, if the choice at this point in time comes down to putting
> in place “just enough process” for the OpenID community to have its
> own lightweight process vs. being forced to move the specs to a
> full-blown SDO, I’d prefer the former.

IMHO: Given the progress of the community to date, I think we would
be able to produce a better spec faster in an existing standards
organization. :-)

-- Dick