[OpenID board] IPR Policy and Process Proposal

Johannes Ernst jernst at netmesh.us
Tue Apr 24 16:19:18 UTC 2007

Hi Gabe,

first let me be clear that it is much better to have a (complex) IPR
policy than not having any at all. I am grateful to you and everybody
else who has contributed to this so far.

Also to be clear, my measurement of complexity is very crude: the
amount of time I (or anybody else) expects to need to spend until
they understand the IPR policy. That's the equivalent of "how many
screens do I need to click through to sign up" somewhere. The longer
it is, the less likely it is that people will get involved. So far,
we've been doing excellently well on that measure:

"Nobody should own this ... " etc can be read and understood in about
10 seconds. I'm afraid that we are moving that measure up to 1 hour
plus.

It may be that it simply cannot be done in, say, 5 minutes. In which
case, well, that's what we have to live with. Not being a lawyer, I
will need to trust you and others to make that judgment call for us.

I'm just asking: is there some way we can simplify, even at the cost
of moving from a 99% solution to an 80% solution (but not a 20%
solution.) If the answer is no, well, so be it. If if the answer is
"perhaps a bit", it should be worthwhile to pursue this.

Makes sense?

Thanks,

Johannes.