[OpenID board] IPR Policy and Process Proposal

Gabe Wachob gabe.wachob at amsoft.net
Tue Apr 24 01:02:35 UTC 2007

Johannes-

I just don't see how Microsoft or anyone else on their scale is going to
contribute without something much more rigorous in place than what we have
now. Verisign's participation has been great, but I don't think the IPR
issue with Verisign is completely clear to outside parties, or even me!

You actually document some issues yourself, Johannes, in discussions late
last year. For example:

http://osdir.com/ml/web.openid.specs/2006-12/msg00036.html

What is too complicated in the current proposal? It's much lighter-weight
than any standards body I know of, and yet requires *no new behavior* of
most people participating now (those who don't care about ever asserting IPR
rights). It puts the onus of extra work on those who only want to commit to
a more specific set of licensing, as it should. Simple things simple,
complicated things more complicated. If don't care about protecting your IPR
w/r/t OpenID, then you do nothing. If you do care, then you have an extra
step to do.

As for the language of the IPR policy itself, I actually think its fairly
straightforward - lawyers will have to gnaw on it of course (if we don't get
started on that asap, we'll never make IIW, to be honest). But I don't think
it's all that complicated compared to most IPR agreements I've seen. Compare
to W3C: http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/  or OASIS:
http://www.oasis-open.org/who/intellectualproperty.php  or the IETF's (which
I think is getting an overhaul?): http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3979.txt

We're not forming a standards body here, we're just trying to make the
environment "good enough" to attract a wider set of participants and
adopters. Both sides are going to have to work a little bit in a new way, I
think. To put a challenge to you, can you give examples of grassroots
communities outside formal SDO's adopting IPR policies that are both
acceptable to large IPR-holding organizations as contributors and as 3rd
party adopters? We should definitely be stealing their ideas rather than
coming up with our own, but I'm not finding it.

In any case, I've added some notes on a workplan here:
http://openid.net/wiki/index.php/IPR_%26_Process_Work_Plan

            -Gabe

  _____