[OpenID board] Having a call today?

Johannes Ernst jernst at netmesh.us
Mon Apr 23 19:56:49 UTC 2007

Some comments by copy-paste from the document.

> Section 4: Terms. The initial Board members shall serve staggered
> terms of one, two, and three years. No more than 45% of the Board
> members shall end their term of board service in any given
> election. After the terms-of-office of the initial Board members,
> all new Board members shall serve three year terms and will be
> eligible for re-election to a second term.
>
> Dick's comment: A three year term is a LONG time for change in
> directors. I prefer the previous term of two years and we can allow
> directors to serve up to three consecutive terms)

I agree with Dick. Also, it is difficult to enforce "no more than X
shall end their term of board service in any given election". There
may be all sorts of reasons why board members cannot continue on the
board and need to resign (change of jobs, or illness, for example).

> Section 8: Vacancies.

Could it be made more explicit that the remaining board members vote
in a new board member (without going through the membership). Also,
how long is the term of the new member?

> Section 9: Resignation, Termination and Absences. Resignation from
> the Board must be submitted electronically or in writing and
> received by the Secretary. A Board member shall be dropped for
> excess absences from the Board if s/he has three unexcused absences
> from Board meetings in a year.

I would think that the number of missed meetings should be
proportional to the number of actual meetings of the board. For
example, as long as we are meeting weekly, missing 3 meetings means
something entirely different than if we meet quarterly.

What about we say the board has 4 regular meetings per year, and as
many special meetings as it wants. Then missed meetings are counted
against the regular meetings, but not against the special meetings.
Special meetings, of course, can only proceed with quorum.

> Section 1: The Board may create committees as needed, such as
> fundraising, membership, etc. The Board Chair appoints all
> committee chairs.

Unilaterally? I'd prefer it if the board voted on the committee chairs.

> Section 2:

It's unclear under which circumstances the exec committee must call a
special meeting of the board, instead of just proceeding on its own.
If it can proceed on its own on any subject at any time as it
pleases, the board effectively is the executive committee, and the
board members not on the exec committee have no say because whatever
subject can be decided on "between" meetings.

> The Board or the Executive Committee must approve any major change
> in the budget

Major changes should be on the level of the board -- otherwise the
board is not and cannot be in charge of financial oversight.

I would also expect that the board has at least access to quarterly
financials, preferably an updated set of financials (both backward-
looking and forward-looking) a couple of days in advance of each
board meeting.