[OpenID board] IPR Policy and Process Proposal

Gabe Wachob gabe.wachob at amsoft.net
Mon Apr 23 19:08:35 UTC 2007

There's now a "there" there.

Thanks to some prodding from Mike Jones, we had a spurt of activity this
weekend (some of you have been cc'd on emails, some of you are blissfully
ignorant).

The result is the following:

1)       Everyone (including esp Microsoft) would like to be able to close
this IPR policy by IIW - that's aggressive, but everyone seems aligned

2)       There's a relatively concrete proposal for an IPR policy and
lightweight process to enable that policy at
http://openid.net/wiki/index.php/Formal_IPR_Policy and
http://openid.net/wiki/index.php/Formal_Process  respectively

3)       I'm sure there will be some pushback as this is no small feat
getting grassroots and big organizations to play in the same IPR sandbox. On
the other hand, the IPR policy proposed by MS functionally equivalent in
most of the big ways to the OSP, so things may go smoothly. There are
outstanding questions, etc from Johannes and myself - however, I don't
consider my pushback to be all that critical and certainly not worth holding
up the process.

4)       There's been agreement among several of us to set up
legal at openid.net - if someone opposes this (yet another list),  please speak
up. However, I think this is a truly distinct topic that is not going to
attract the broad-base of interest that issues like security might have. In
any case, we obviously need to move this discussion to the community.

5)       We need to do some outreach to get some legal (and related) advice
and input from other large organizations who are most interested in the IPR
policy - I think between the board here we know all the relevant lawyers and
opinionated people out there. My connections are with EFF and Berkeley
people, and some open source folks.

6)       I will also post to the wiki a proposed plan for moving this
forward very quickly.

7)       Did I mention already we want to get this done by IIW? ;-)

-Gabe